Automatic Views

Chris D

Question

VW currently has Saved Views - entirely manual, and some very basic Preset Views such as Top, Front, Back, Right etc. This is not good enough for efficient BIM working.

Compare this to Revit where if you add a storey, you automatically get a floor plan and ceiling plan view for that storey.

VW has the structure to achieve this - it has stories which have sub-layers, so it's entirely possible to generate Automatic Views for stories.

These Auto Views should self-populate the Views tab of the Navigation Palette, much like they appear in the Project Browser in Revit.

Defaults could be set to include floor plan, ceiling plan, finishes plan for each storey. The preset Front, Back, Left, Right elevation views should also now appear in this tab.

(I don't know why I'm still posting here on BIM wishes....just habit)

14 answers to this question

Compare this to Revit where if you add a storey, you automatically get a floor plan and ceiling plan view for that storey.

VW does this too! You get your layers, wich are the floor plan and ceiling plan and...

No...not the same. A layer is a physical container, not a view. A ceiling plan has certain attributes such as showing the floor plan, but with basic layout classes only, plus the ceiling classes turned on. If I want to go from ground storey floor plan to ground storey ceiling plan, I have to do a layer/class combo change...then to go up to 1st floor ceiling plan...another multiple layer change.

VW currently has Saved Views - entirely manual,

Don't think you're giving this the credit it deserves, well set-up this can be very functional, now that they have been added to the Resource Browser they can be imported to new files and reused, so once again if the job has been done correctly from the start it'll work as wished. (the only hash I have is that they can't be applied to VPs once created.......)

Edited by Vincent C
No way, Saved Views are a pain in the buttocks. For a start, when you add Classes to a file you have to manually edit your Saved Views to take account of them.

They're far from a pain in the butt in Revit, in fact they form the basis of Navigation in there that's leagues better than VW's. If they are a pain the the derriere in VW it's just because they're badly implemented. The issue is no different to adding classes to your viewports.

Classes for objects need to become mandatory in the BIM version of VW, but they also need to move into the background just like Revit's 'categories' are. Everything in Revit is categorised by default, so you don't need to bring your own class system. The only time you become aware of the categories is on export to DWG or IFC, when they are neatly mapped to a class or layer system of your choice.

PIOs in VW come pre-classed which is the same as Revit...the trouble is the VW PIOs are crap, and there aren't enough of them, and they are disjointed. We have a ceiling layout tool but the only way to bring in NBL ceilings is as slab styles for instance, which have no relationship to the ceiling grids tool.

If you don't like Automatic Views, then just don't use them.

Classes for objects need to become mandatory in the BIM version of VW, but they also need to move into the background just like Revit's 'categories' are. Everything in Revit is categorised by default, so you don't need to bring your own class system.

That's the foundation and essence for a more intuitive and consequent Standard Naming functionality i VWs.

Edited by Vincent C

Once again, please forgive my ignorance, but . . .

as i have no quarms in slating what VW has left out(and it's still a big list) but surely using the "Layer" system and the the "View" menu most of these requirements can be found and the Numerical Keypad Shortcuts gives a very Rapid response.

"Bottom View"(Cmd+*) anyone?

No way, Saved Views are a pain in the buttocks. For a start, when you add Classes to a file you have to manually edit your Saved Views to take account of them.

You can choose to have new Classes visible in both Viewports & Saved views

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8228&filename=New%20Class%20visible%20in%20Saved%20View.png

True, but that's for ALL of them. BUT you can set them really quick in the organization dialog! Check the top right radio button to visibility and experience a major thing in VW that really works well, if you named everything correctly!