Plant list not showing all plants

rbkla

I am experiencing problems w/ the Plant list function. I am creating a simple plant list and it does not show all the plants on the drawing. I've tried to select all the plants before I create the list, & also have turned all layers "on" to make sure there is nothing embedded in the plant symbols that is not showing up. (I did notice that when I turn off the layer "none" my plant symbols disappear, but I always have this layer on.) Does anyone have any thoughts?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It may sound simple, but are they all Plant objects, created with the Plant tool? If they are just symbols, VW will not recognise them as plants. If they are simple symbols, you can convert them to plants by selecting them and choosing Landmark > Create New Plant.

Have you taken a look at the Getting Started Guide? You can watch me make some plants and tell you how to do it...

http://www.vectorworks.net/training/getting-started-guides/landmark/index.html

Just to clarify, it is not necessary to select the plants first. Also, the visibility of layers and classes will make no difference to the contents of the worksheet. Unless you have edited the selection criteria within the worksheet itself, it will display results for the entire file.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply, and I'm sorry for the delayed response. All of the plants are plant objects, not symbols. (I have gone through the Getting Started guide-it helped me get up and running w/ VW2012)

Do you have any other thoughts or suggestions? I ended up doctoring my plant list in my last drawing-basically inputting by hand, which makes the plant list tool pretty useless. I'm assuming its something wrong w/ the way I've set it up, and I'm hoping to avoid that problem w/ future drawings.

I solved my problem, though I'm still a little confused as to how it happened. As I said before, 1/2 my plants didn't show up on my plant list. I noticed that the plant tags for all the plants were in the class "vegetation-new". When I switched the class for the plant tag on the plants that weren't showing up to "plants-components-tags" they showed up on the plant list. But 2 questions still remain:

-The plants that originally showed up on the plant list still have the tag class as "vegetation-new" and these continue to show up on the plant list

-When is the tag class assigned? Is this manually by me whenever I create a new plant or is it automatic?

Would love it if anyone can shed some light on this..