Beginner needs help with stories!

RichG

I am a long term AutoCAD LT user. I bought VW2011 Architect, never used it, updated to 2012 and thought by the time 2013 comes out I had better have a go... Having read all the negative stuff lately I am wishing maybe I had waited (if I had had the ability to see two years into the future) and bought Revit LT!

Anyway, I am trying to self teach and trying to use stories. This is a simple job (as most of mine are) but I could do with an idiots guide to setting up.

On the attached file, I am not sure what I have done wrong but the ground floor walls and first floor walls are at the same level - or they appear to be to me anyway.

This is my first project using VW and i want to crack it but I am finding the learning process very slow.

Can someone please tell me what I have done wrong in the stories / design layers setup. This is on VWA 2012.

Many thanks.

Richard it is important to use the program in the way that is intended. The Getting Started Guide section of the website will help you do that.

http://www.vectorworks.net/training/getting-started-guides/index.html

Mike,

I used the getting started guide for 2011 as it suited my workflow and was more suited to the type of work that I do than the 2012 guide. The 2013 guide wasn't out at the time.

The 2012 guide completely ignores stories (as it seems the 2013 issue does too upon a quick glance through) which is one feature I wanted to learn. Funny really when I thought this was one of the main features introduced in 2012 and yet no mention in their getting started guide.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am sure I will be asking for more help in the future.... I have added foundations and modified the floor to suit my spec so I'm feeling pleased with myself. Now to tackle the double pitched gable roof with central valley. I may be on the help forum again if I can't manage it.

Stories provides the means to manage collectively all of the model layers associated with a single storey of a building and define the relationships between them. Thus if you change the level of a storey all of the model layers associated with that Storey will change their height, and the relative heights of the model layers in other storeys will adjust as well. That simplifies making level changes in a building because you no longer have to manually edit all the other model layers and change their Z height in order to implement a change in the height between two storeys.

The other change implemented with Storeys is that wall, column and stair heights can now be tied to specific model layers in a storey and thus if you change the height of a storey these elements will also change their height.