v2013 Renderworks performance

Christiaan

I had a chance to make a comparison between v2012 and v2013 rendering last night.

I'm working on a planning project consisting of 4x four-to-five storey buildings. Around 100 flats + 80 student rooms. Not a small project but nothing particularly major either.

Street elevations have been rendered at 1:100. Everything was modelled in v2012 and has since been converted to v2013 SP1 to make some cladding changes to one of the buildings.

I spent night last night watching VW render and crash, render and crash, only to find things like the 3D Space tool showing inside some flats (and some other anomalies), to then watch it render and crash, render and crash over again. What should have been done by lunch time took until 3 AM the next morning.

Nothing too unusual there. I'm used to this sort of thing since we switched to a fully 3D workflow and started using Renderworks exclusively over Artlantis.

What was unusual was the increase in frequency, such that I could simply no longer render the same elevations we had successfully rendered in v2012 with all quality settings set to high. I was forced to turn everything down to medium to get any renders out.

I don't know what's going on here. Is it effected by the conversion from v2012 to v2013 (maybe)? Is WinDoor a problem, given that we're using exactly the same version as we were under v2012 (I doubt it)?

Either way something's not right and now our planning submission is suffering because of it. Whereas we originally had very sharp renders, now we have passable renders.

Once again 3D VW + Renderworks is actually having a negative effect on our output.

There is definitely something different about how Sheet Layer Viewports render. I've had many problems and crashes myself. The weirdest anomaly I've seen so far - do a batch export PDF of various sheet layers with Viewports that need rendering, when the export is done every Viewport that needed rendering is displayed on screen, one on top of the other, even though they are on different sheets. Changing the pan or zoom of the screen resets things.

Kevin

• 1 month later...

I use renderworks to render complex in-store displays with lots of mapped graphics on 3d containers. The final renderings look better than real but the redraw times are like watching snow melt. All those cool reflections and mapped graphics bog down my Mac Pro. I have loaded my mac pro with as much ram as it will take. That didn't help. It's just really slow. I have been reviewing upgrading my GPU to a better card but I am told it won't help. The only thing that helps my projects is to let it run at night and walk away. I have noticed that leaving energy saver on stops the render during the night so it needs to be set to not sleep.

2012 was slow and 2013 is the same Vectorworks please help.

Bob

Mac Pro 2010

6-Core Intel Xeon

3.33 GHz / 32 GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 5770