export image gives odd results

It is supposed to be this small but if I increase the size x10 and export it gets a closer to the original image but even at 300ppi the quality is awful and not useable.

its a scale issue. at 100 times original size it looks fine but surely this should not be the case?

any help on this one would be great - thanks

Edited by barkest

Thanks GWS (I did not know that I could hold down the cmd key and see the short cuts)

1:1 solves it at 100mm x 100mm. My mistake in trying to export at such a small size as it was 1:50 and 100mm x 100mm

Also if I have 1:50 and export and change the print size width and height to 100mm x 100mm it still has issues which must be in conversion internally

It gives me a white border when not using marquee which is not what I want and drawing a marquee is not perfect

at 1:50 drawing a marquee around on export gives me 2.709mm x 2.709mm because even though I marquee it places a border on it

pretty disappointed with the process so far. At 1:1 and 100mm x 100mm I get these results

It is sharp until export then its rounded which is not what I want and at 100m its already bigger than I wanted it.

ok I can get it at 100 x 100 and reduce the pen size by 75% and its pretty decent (i.e. workable).

There must be an easier way?

Edited by barkest

Sorry for complaining but this is not a great process. I export 1:1 100mm x 100mm and change the pen size to make it sharper. I then get a white border (even with marquee for some reason). I go into PhotoShop to clean it up and find that the outer row of pixels are a different shade than the other pixels and even cropping at 100mm x 100mm to remove the border I still get a row of white pixels on the outside.

I need this to be exact but it is far from that :(

Hi GWS,

I exported at 300ppi.

I made it slightly bigger (added a couple of mm) and cropped in PS. The whole workflow for export is not that great (or my experience of it is not that good). Anything smaller than 100mm is more-or-less unuseable and even at 100mm you have to carry out post export work.

It could be me but if it is I am lost as to where to look to make it an easier process.

thanks

Just to commiserate, those white borders and shaded outer pixels really bug me, too. I never figured out whether it is vwx or OS that causes this? If vwx, one has to ask why add it? Who would want it?

Sometimes I have better luck with the edge pixels if export as pdf. Still need the image editor to trim the border.

A related issue is that annoying process required when creating a texture from vwx objects:

Make the drawing, export as image, trim the border (scale/precision is lost in the process), import back into vwx, create texture from image.

As others have wished, the program would be more complete with a one step Create Texture Command. This is more or less the 3d Hatch. Some usable creation options would be scale, color/bw, create from Selection/Current View/Marquee/Crop, clear background (alpha channel), more.

-B

Hi GWS,

I use Adobe Illustrator a lot and agree it would be better to do the work here but in this case the flow is much easier for what I am doing.

At work we have a fabric printer which accepts tiff files. I can create a tile in VW and use that tile for wallpaper, fabric etc. inside of VW itself. I can then export the single design (not the repeat) as a tiff and get a real world fabric that more-or-less matches what is seen in VW.

It should be a nice flow but isn't unfortunately. Going the other way and creating in Ai is an option but then its messy as I have to go through the tile process anyhow.

hope that makes more sense now