Custom Text Field to read Sheet Number and Title

Tom Klaber

We have a complex custom title block that is simply a referenced symbol. We have record fields that allow us to input sheet number, sheet title ect. Is there a way to get these fields to automatically display the sheet layer information? The VW title block tool does this, but I can not figure out how.

Anybody know?

Thanks.

I'm no expert at this, but I believe the record data in the VW Title block which automatically displays the sheet layer info originates from the "S_Sheet Number_SN" and "S_Sheet Title_SD#" fields.

I have witnessed that when I remove the "_SN" and the "_SD" from the record fields, it will no longer automatically record the sheet layer info. I don't know if adding these to your title block record data will help, since it would not "know" what sheet layer it is on, since it is merely a reference. I also don't think this works unless it is a real "Title Block" object.

(We have just recently started to use the title block in lieu of a viewport of a symbol on a design layer. So far, it is a good improvement.)

The symbol should know where it is. Unlike a viewport, the symbol itself is placed on a sheet and text fields should understand that. We used to do a viewport, but moved to creating an actual symbol that gets referenced from a global file. The viewport method, as you know is totally rife with issues. The new system allows us to globally control project information, dates, revisions across multiple files while still giving us local symbol control over sheet title and number. I would just like to automate the sheet title and number portion to cut down on coordination and titling mistakes.

We did this same customization a couple of years ago. There is some pretty good information in the HELP menus. Atari was correct...certain prefix in the record field names tell VW to get the information from the Layer data among other things.

You will also need to set up a Sheet Border object that then references your custom title block symbol into it. This gives you the ability to use the Issue Manager to send data to each of your title blocks. You will no longer be able to edit your symbol to input data. The data will need to come from Issue Manager if you want to put dates or client data into all your title blocks.

We repeat this process with each file, however, if you were to place a 'referenced' symbol of your title block into each of your project files it can be pulled into a Sheet Border Ojbect for each sheet. You may need to keep your project data static in the symbol instead of linked to the project data pane of the Issue manager but the auto-numbering you are trying achieve should still be possible.

As a side note, I created a Sheet Border Object that did not have a border and did not have the 'center on sheet' toggle checked and used it to create a large title sheet object that contained the project title and address. It pulled in a custom symbol created for this task. This object now updates right along with the title blocks.

You may want to incorporate this script I wrote which will modify your dates and notes globally after you have already used the Issue Manager to set a bunch of title blocks.

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=163089#Post163089

Pat Stanford's script to Clear All Issue Data is also very useful.

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=126725#Post126725

Joe

Edited by Joe-SA