paper space/model space

i know that this topic has been discussed, but i figured that i would bring it up again just to see if anyone has came up with a new solution. i know VW doesnt support paper space/model space. i'm trying to import a number of autocad drawings into vectorworks in order to update the plans. as you all know, the entire drawing imports and you then have to trim all of the unnecessary lines. needless to say, many architectural drawings can be extremely detailed and the trimming of lines is very tedious. i've tried to "mask" the unnecessary lines by drawing solid white rectangles with a white pen color. this does fix that problem, but creates another. whenever i try to place the titleblock on the drawing, the rectangles cover the titleblock. it is covered even though it is on a different layer and i have tried to use the send to front command, but that doesnt seem to help. is there anyone out there that might have some tips/advice? as of right now, this process is not efficient at all and is causing the company to lose money due to extra work that should not be required. vectorworks is a very easy program to use, but if we are wasting time and money, due to software issues, we will probably be forced to make the transition to autocad. hopefully, in future releases of vectorworks, it will support paper space/model space.

Thanks in advance,

Josh BickelAudio Analysts3286 N. El PasoColorado Springs, COAudio Analysts

that makes sense if i understand you right. unfortunately, i'm at home right now, so i am unable to try it. i am assuming that i need to set the layer with the title block to a higher elevation. is that what you mean? i will try it in the morning. thanks for the reply.

i really appreciate the responses. i was able to manipulate the existing drawings in VW, due to your guys' help. i agree with the last response. the job that i was having problems with, was a sound system for an ice rink, that is the size of a mall, in aspen, colorado. it is a huge project, and also the celine dion project in vegas will hit us hard too, in the very near future. fortunately, the company has decided to purchase a me a pc w/ a 22" (minimum) monitor, and also autocad 2002, because of the fact that the existing plans were all done in autocad (industry standard for a good reason)and when you are sent dwgs with xrefs and ps/ms, VW just doesnt cut it. i will still have the mac for the fabrication drawings and our existing touring drawings. vectorworks is a great cad program, but it still has a LONG way to go to catch up with autocad. once again, i appreciate all the tips that were posted. they did get me out of a jam at work today, and hopefully at the meeting tomorrow morning, the clients will be impressed with the prints.

thanks,

Josh BickelAudio AnalystsColorado Springs, CO 80907Audio Analysts

"vectorworks is a great cad program, but it still has a LONG way to go to catch up with autocad"

..right, especially when you know VW so wellthat the only little thing you are missing is the layer stacking order issue, one of the most advanced, complex and little known features.

Just use a program for what it has to offer, instead of trying to simulate another with that,And you'll quickly find yourself having beautiful prints instead of going thru fragmented frigid lines drawn thru mysterious windows with names and commands that just if you are elected are allowed to know..

I rather flow that frantically hit the keyboard ?.

The problem with paper and model space is that they don't match as far as reference points most of the time. Also, they are usually 2 different scales.

If you want to bring in the two, have the AC person set the scale to the same before sending it to you.

VW import dwg only works with one scale so it will pick a more logical scale to assume, then bring the file in at that scale. It seems to work just fine when done in that fashion.

As for x-refs .. the dxf committee hadn't released too much information about them when VW 9 was developed. As AutoCad releases inforamtion to the DXF committe to then distribute to other companies such as ourselves that wish to work WITH that file definition type, we are able to find ways to incorporate those features and support for those features in VW. If AutoCad deosn't share the information with the DXF committee there is no way we can support and/or implement those exact features in VW. The biggest problem this meets is with file import/export. AutoCad has decided to remain closed for the most part and only release small bits of information from time to time. The rest would just be guessing and that's not exactly a scientific or mathmatical process. There are some things the DXF committee has, but we cannot support it in VW due to a limitation of the application. However, that instance is not a common one. We would like to be completely, 100% compatible with AC i'm sure ... but AC hasn't left thier development as open source.

So as much as you say VW doesn't work well with AutoCad, keep in mind, we can only go with information AC sends to the DXF committee for developers like us to utilize. Instead of barking up our tree, maybe looking at the situation as it really is ... might change your viewpoint.

"..right, especially when you know VW so wellthat the only little thing you are missing is the layer stacking order issue, one of the most advanced, complex and little known features."

i'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not with the response. i have only been using VW for about 6 months, so i'm sure that there are many features that i have not come across yet. same goes for autocad. i've used it for about 10 years, and i'm sure that i have only scratched the surface. VW is a much easier program to use and has features that are superior to autocad. i'm not saying anything bad about VW. for some drawings i would prefer to use VW and for others, autocad. for creating drawings from scratch, VW is great, but when importing autocad drawings, that can sometimes be a pain.

I actually agree with you, even though I was being a little sarcastic, sorry.

I've been using VW for 5 years and still learning every day. It takes patience to create another way of work. Before I was using Microstation and even though I still think it is the most powerful cad in the world, VW ,for an architectural designer, is a car that you can really drive withyour butt, with a tight feeling for the road.