Stepped wall: best way to model, wall peaks or separate bits of wall?

Christiaan

I have a stepped wall that follows a sloping site. Ground level and below is one wall style (retaining wall) and above ground level is another wall style (normal cavity wall). I need to step the wall down to suit brickwork coursing.

Do you think it's better to model this by adding wall peaks or by drawing each section with a separate bit of wall and offsetting the top and bottom appropriately?

I'm leaning toward wall peaks because this means the wall remains as one object. Problem is it's more difficult to do accurately.

Don't know about VW2013 but in previous versions if you want your wall steps to be vertical to each other they won't be...even if screen hints during creation say so. Check it out. It is very slight but present.

If you want to draw with a certain degree of accuracy you might try my VectorWorksAround which is to create the "negative" shape of your wall top and/or bottom on another layer, perhaps using extrudes, and then run the Fit Wall to Object command.

More:

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=141516&Searchpage=1&Main=28999&Words=wall+peaks&Search=true#Post141516

Edited by bc