can't save 2012 files in 2013

when i open a 2012 file in 2013, then later try to save it, i get this message: "Internal Error - general failure encountered during disk I/O operation. (Failure on attempt to open file)"

does anybody know what it means? how do i solve the problem? this is a serious hang up right now.

unfortunately, now when i try to open the files in 2012, i get this message as well. so going back to 2012 doesn't seem to be an option.

cheers,

ray

monkey,

i'm saving to the hard drive on my macbook. i tried saving to the desktop and it worked. thanks for the suggestion. i also tried saving to a new folder and that worked. for some reason i can't save to the original folders from which the files come. i had a similar issue last winter, getting a different error message. at that time i had to create a new user account and re-do all of my folders. don't want to do that again.

i wonder what is causing the problem. is it mac os, is it vw, or is it the combination? in the mean time i'm waiting to hear from the vw tech people.

cheers,

ray

when i open a 2012 file in 2013, then later try to save it, i get this message: "Internal Error - general failure encountered during disk I/O operation. (Failure on attempt to open file)"

The two situations I've run into this have been the original file has either been renamed while the file is open or the file has been moved to a new location (folder, drive, etc.). My guess is that VW stores the location of open files using hard links, and renaming/moving the file breaks the link so VW chokes.

Saving using "Save as" takes care of the problem.

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=177303#Post177303

This is becoming a little ridiculous. I've stopped recommending VW to mac users...

Completely unrelated issue.

kevin, i have run into problems having files selected in the finder. but, i just double checked, and that is not the case here.

pgym, i saved both ways--"save" and "save as"-- but there is no difference in this case. as i look into it more, it seems to depend upon which folder i save the document to.