Large file sizes with imported graphics

I've imported a 475 Kb compressed tiff (1 bit/bitonal) into a 605 Kb VW drawing, hoping I would get a 1,080 Kb file, (475+605=1080) but I get a huge 7,362 Kb file. Why is the file so big ? Is there anything I can do to reduce the file size without reducing the resolution of the imported graphic ?

Thanx.

confused.gif" border="0

Hey Dave,

Try reducing the bit depth of the image.

As I understand from another discussion in here, a bit depth of 2 is black and white and anything more is various shades of greys and then colours. But its some kind of exponential expansion in file size when you go from 2 bits to 4 bits. ie. 4 to the power of 8 or something like that. or is it 8 to the power of 4. In any case it is bigger. If you can live with straight black and white images. then pick the lowest bit depth available when you import the image.

I have reduced a 33.5 MB drawing done by our inexperienced cad jockey here down to a 9 mb drawing just by reducing the bit depth and changing some honking huge colour 3 d tiff file to a grey scale image.

Joe is very much correct here. VectorWorks does not deal with images in a particularly efficient manner.

If you import a 475k tiff into a 605kb VectorWorks file, it will grow to the size of 605kb + the size of the tiff image as expressed as a bitmap.

So to get an accurate idea of how large your file will be, you need to decompress an image before you send it to VectorWorks.

Actually, aside from lower resolution and a lower color depth, there is nothing you can do about this. We have compressed image support as a wish list item, and I expect that it will be addressed soon.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support