Dual monitors

I am considering a hardware upgrade now for a few reasons.

But I am interested in what issues (if any) the multiple display users may be having since I found the following in Vectorworks' 2013 hardware recommendations:

"Note: The other members of the Quadro family, namely the NVS series, are more geared towards driving multiple displays and less suited for complex 3D modeling. We recommend that you avoid these cards."

This was about the NVIDIA Quadro series but the statement seems to suggest a rather broad issue.

NVIDIA seems to be their top pick and the Quadros are the best. Anyone here have a different opinion?

Are dual displays better handled on MACs vs. Windows? (not in the past but now).

(I am a Windows XP user about to go to Win7.)

Grateful for your shared experience ...

Mik

(I am a Windows XP user about to go to Win7.)

If you are not on Windows 7 yet, I would recommend going to Windows 8 instead. It's much better, and much much faster than Windows 7, even on older pc's. The new start menu/interface takes a little time to be accustomed to, but once learned, works like a charm. Although, for work related stuff, you'll mostly be working on the desktop rather than the start menu, and be using the taskbar to open programs. Just check it out, as Microsoft will be going this way more and more in the future.

As for the dual displays and graphic cards: The Quadro's are better, but with VW, there isn't a big difference I have heard of between Quadro and Geforce GTX series. Quadro's are very expensive and I would recommend going for a Geforce GTX. VW will be running just as smooth with lower costs. If anyone else experienced other things, I also would like to know as I need an upgrade of my graphics card myself, which now is a Geforce GTX 280. I have never experienced VW having difficulties with two displays. So I guess there will be no problem with this.

If you are not on Windows 7 yet, I would recommend going to Windows 8 instead.

DWorks (or anyone) - The Vectorworks system requirements list does not include Win8.

Is anyone using it with Win8 anyway? VW2012 or VW2013?

On dual displays, I was thinking of getting one really good one - maybe a 27" for modeling - and then a smaller cheapo to hold palettes and desktop apps.

Any thoughts/experiences with this idea? Should I try to match the displays or does this make sense. (Just trying to be cheap.)

Thanks guys.

Now I just need to find a showroom to try out some workstations and talk to a knowledgeable salesperson.

The only one I know of in the south bay (Silicon Valley) recently closed and now all that is left are places like Best Buy. (You know, where you ask a question and the salesperson walks over and reads aloud from the little price tag.)(!)

I told my friend that works at HP that they need to do something about the destruction wrought by big-box retailers.

They may need to follow in Apple & Microsoft's footsteps with their own stores.