Dual monitors

In the context of a VW installation what are you guys running in your setup, or what would be your preference and why?

1 x 27" monitor

2 x 24" monitors

I'm looking at replacing my current aging imac with a new PC build (yes, I know... :blush:), which will open up new CAD and hardware options.

I've never run VW with a monitor that large (27"), but I run it with a 2x monitor set up and I like it a lot. I have one monitor with the main project window, tool bars and nav palette, and the other has the oip, resource browser, etc. with room left open for other documents that i need to look at. I like the set up of the 2x.

I run (2) 24" 1920x1200 monitors. I find that I love having the 1200 pixel height for things like my OIP. Some of the PIOs have many things in the OIP, so it is nice having the extra resolution to make it taller. You gain way more real-estate by having 2 monitors. I tried 1 for a while, but you quickly loss screen when or if you keep palettes open.

We run 27" iMacs (2560x1440) with 23" Cinema Displays (1920x1200) as second monitors. Sweet setup for Vectorworks with all palettes on the second monitor, and room in the bottom right corner for the TV window to watch soccer while drawing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

V-G

27" iMac with 23" Cinema Display, with room for TV for watching soccer

I'm using a 27" Hazro display - 2560x1440; I think the bowels of it are the same as the big Apple displays but just in a cheaper casing and hence with a wee tiny price tag. I have Object Info and Attributes over on the RHS and all the other palettes lined up below the toolbar and set to drop down on mouse over. Consequently have a huuuge drawing area which I love, plus more-or-less instant access to all tools and settings. Happy bunny.

27" iMac with 23" Cinema Display, with room for TV for watching soccer

:grin: :grin:

I run (2) 24" 1920x1200 monitors. I find that I love having the 1200 pixel height for things like my OIP. Some of the PIOs have many things in the OIP, so it is nice having the extra resolution to make it taller.

Definitely a valid point - 16:10 ratio is definitely preferred here. Problem is that 16:10 is rare in anything over 27" Samsung and Dell make a 24" 16:10 LED IPS panel.

So my options appear to be

1) New 27" and using my existing 20" Cinema Display as a second monitor

2) Two new 24" 16:10 monitors

I'm favouring option 2.

Edited by Kizza

The bigger the better is my belief. The more real estate you have the better you can operate smoothly. I have one monitor only for my design layer the other for the OIP, Resource browser, Navigation Pallet, Visualization, and working planes. while also room for my calendar, email, itunes and if I need web browser for research during design.

Granted Apple is not making the 30" any more but the 27" is fantastic.

And if I could add a better card I would run 3 monitors.

Although now I have been spoiled and cant hardly bring myself to use my 17" macbook due to the small screen.

To sum up, money can be tight but 2 monitors is well worth it.

I think what BryanG meant is there's not much different in screen resolution between the 27" imac (2560x1440) and the 30" cinema display (2560x1600), so using a 30" cinema display would be akin to using a 27" monitor only slightly larger in physical size.

I got one widescreen (22inch) + one normal screen (17inch). The normal one is for oip and attrbutes + a big resource palette.

Dworks!

You may have to go on a shopping spree.

I would picture your office to have at least three monitors in front of you, minimum 24"!!

;)

Seriously, 24" minimum for CAD IMO, and 16:10 ratio as well.

Edited by Kizza
The bigger the better is my belief.

Not true. The screen has to be big enough, but too big will cost more time to move your mouse around.

I got one widescreen (22inch) + one normal screen (17inch). The normal one is for oip and attrbutes + a big resource palette.

Ohh, I'd have to disagree big time with that! There's definitely a limit at which a screen becomes too big but 22" ain't it.

Problem is that 16:10 is rare in anything over 27" Samsung and Dell make a 24" 16:10 LED IPS panel.

Me personaly wouldn't go for Samsung. Ones you're used to a cinema display, a Samsung is a huge step back...

Comparing my 2 Samsung 22" and 24" inch with my 23" Cinema display is realy a day and night difference.

The cinema displays are way to expensive though, so looking for other brands is wurth the effort imo.

Edited by maarten.
Problem is that 16:10 is rare in anything over 27" Samsung and Dell make a 24" 16:10 LED IPS panel.

Me personaly wouldn't go for Samsung. Ones you're used to a cinema display, a Samsung is a huge step back...

Comparing my 2 Samsung 22" and 24" inch with my 23" Cinema display is realy a day and night difference.

The cinema displays are way to expensive though, so looking for other brands is wurth the effort imo.

The new cinema display has the glossy screen which I don't like.

The samsung monitor I'm considering is this one

There is talk of the yet-to-be-released Ivy Bridge iMac to have a non reflective screen. Both the Samsung and the Dell that I mentioned previously have a less aggressive matte screen - kind of in between gloss and matte.

A good compromise I would think.

Kizza, yes as far as the 27" that is all you can get from apple now. however you may find 30's on the web.

DWorks, I have not found that having a larger screen is a hindrance when moving a mouse around. yes the area is bigger and takes me 2 swipes of the mouse about 5" or so to stretch across both. but the real gain is in the amount of info, and for CAD work the amount of the drawing I can show at once. This equates to less panning of the drawing and a better overall visual when I am designing.

Now I am not saying that every one should go invest in large screen 50" TV's, but I am saying that understanding how you design (individually) should be the determining factor in monitor size. But for sure the added monitor in almost any size is a great benefit that I believe anyone would see.

Kizza, yes the 27" only comes in glossy and I find that to be frustrating. but I have talked to many people with the glossy and said it to not be too bad. Or you could get a film to apply to the surface.

the film which you can apply to the glossy screen is awful, not worth bothering with.

I have the glossy 27' and i have to say its is very very annoying.....but i had no choice, company bought. i have heard of some people just removing the glass as it is only held on with magnets......but i think my IT guy would kill me if i tried that

Personally, unless you are getting a monitor with 2560x1440 resolution jumping from a 23/24 to a 27 doesn't gain you anything except larger pixels, and more work for you eyes. That is why I have maxed out at a 24 inch monitor. Until I can invest in the higher resolution, there is no point in going any bigger.

Edited by ChadL
The bigger the better is my belief.

Not true. The screen has to be big enough, but too big will cost more time to move your mouse around.

Ohh, I'd have to disagree big time with that! There's definitely a limit at which a screen becomes too big but 22" ain't it.

I'm not saying that 22" is the limit, but 27' is definitely too big for my eyes.

btw: This is how I use my 2 screens:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8100&filename=Screen setup.png

I think it should be interesting to see others.

Edited by DWorks

at the office, 27" iMac single screen, and its gets the job done, but i am very particular about my toolbar, palette, and drawing window set up (see attached screen shot)

at home I use 17" HP laptop wit a second 19" monitor; its really nice to put the toolbars and palettes on the other screen...

Motus & Kizza

On a Mac, you can hide the dock off screen if you want to gain a little more screen area. It reappears as soon as you mouse near the edge.

I am surprised that the screen displays shown here seem to me to have a quite small drawing area - I thought that maximising that was the whole purpose of a second screen.

I am surprised that the screen displays shown here seem to me to have a quite small drawing area - I thought that maximising that was the whole purpose of a second screen.

If you use a lot of resources and big resouece files, a big resource palette with previews works faster than just having lots of drawing area. Plus classes can be long, so the navigation palette can't Always be small, though the new way of showing classes can make it smaller.