Detail Viewport???

I am playing around with the new detail viewport tool and I do not see the point. I was very excited about this pre-launch but it does not seem to do what I want or anything particularly useful. I like that it auto generats a tag, but I thought the point of that was the tag would auto coordinate with the detail viewport. It does at first, but if you move the viewport to a new sheet layer then the tag disappears.

If all I am getting is a tag, then it does not really accomplish anything.

Anybody finding legitimate use for it?

I'm not in VW2013 yet but have spent time taking an overall building section viewport and copying it to a new sheet layer, modifying the scale up to detail level, and re-cropping. Then doing it over and over to assemble a series of cropped and break-lined viewports to lay out a sheet of details. I was hoping this tool would ease that process and improve the memory management of regenerating all those cropped viewports. It is clear from the 13 documentation that there isn't any inherent way to add break lines inside the viewport allowing one wall section VP to be chopped down with breaks for display purposes. Instead a 4 part wall section with 3 areas of break lines still needs to be created with 4 individual detail viewports just like I make it now with 4 individual cropped section viewports. This is a big step backwards in my opinion.

If the auto-numbering does not function the same as the current Section Viewport marks as you state then it is another giant step backwards....perhaps to the point where the tool gets shelved until further development in a later release. A concept I'm all too familiar with, unfortunately. I had high hopes for this feature as it is sorely needed if you wish to generate the bulk of your details directly from your model.

Joe

I am playing around with the new detail viewport tool and I do not see the point. I was very excited about this pre-launch but it does not seem to do what I want or anything particularly useful. I like that it auto generats a tag, but I thought the point of that was the tag would auto coordinate with the detail viewport. It does at first, but if you move the viewport to a new sheet layer then the tag disappears.

If all I am getting is a tag, then it does not really accomplish anything.

Anybody finding legitimate use for it?

Yes, it doesn't seem to like to be moved to a different Sheet Layer without losing its connection to the detail marker. It actually becomes just a Viewport in the OIP. Not so desirable.

Kevin

Hm. Its true that if you can not cut the detail, it becomes mostly useless. At least half of my details have to be cut to fit. This seems like a good first step that falls way short of being useful... maybe in 3 or 4 versions.

You can cut them, you can even show the 'cut line'. Use a custom line style to make the cut line look like you want.

How can I cut them without creating a second detail viewport?

To explain the situation - if I want to show window details - I need to show the header and sill and maybe the center mullion at say 3". I wouldn't show the whole window but break down the detail into those three parts so they fit on a page. Though my detail callout on the main section would circle the whole window, this would be labeled as 1 detail, not 3. As far as I know, you can not do that with the detail viewport. If I am wrong - this is a whole new ball game.

Edited by Tom Klaber
And there seems no way to setup the drawing label defaults, so when you want to use different settings, you Always have to edit it.

dear oh dear, NVs really starting to lose their edge aren't they... :(

....instead of just developing a more intuitive drawing coordination and auto update function for existing VP types, they add another half baked VP type......just to confuse things for new users and for existing users workflows......

What is need here is a merger of all VP types and functions as well as the addition of more functionality in the process

i.e.. - class combinations saving,

- customizability for labels, styles,

- intuitive break lines,

- live elevations information,

- associative dimensions

etc.

Edited by Vincent C
And there seems no way to setup the drawing label defaults, so when you want to use different settings, you Always have to edit it.

The drawing label defaults seem to hold for a session but as soon as you restart Vectorworks they reset. It is pretty frustrating.

All of the annotation tools need to be customizable so you can set their default class (you can't for the callout), font attributes, etc. Ideally you could choose a Text Style from a drop down or text would become a by class attribute.

Kevin

[

dear oh dear, NVs really starting to lose their edge aren't they... :(

....instead of just developing a more intuitive drawing coordination and auto update function for existing VP types, they add another half baked VP type......just to confuse things for new users and for existing users workflows......

etc.

You are right. It seems to be a lack of vision on where the software needs to go. All of the new features seem a little piecemeal, as if every programer is given a 300 day task of creating a new whatever button with no big picture goals.

You can even see it in the VW branding which is terrible. They introduced an new ugly icon which has nothing to do with anything. Not that the gaseous balls had anything to do with anything, but they at least related to swishes on the box - which are weak in and of themselves. There seems to be nobody at the top steering the ship.

• 10 months later...

This tool seems to be only a one way street. When you create a detail viewport of say a cross section at a larger scale on another sheet layer it gives you an auto referenced label to navigate from the cross section to find the detail viewport with a drawing label which is cool? but, not from the detail viewport back to the cross section, instead it gives you a reference to the same sheet that the detail viewport is on which is not much use at all. This is important to have for builders & other contractors who use your documents to be able to navigate both ways as when they come across the detail sheet layer they think where does this detail relate to? (if you haven't put in a label manually).

Cheers