Invisible Fixtures and Focus Points

Brad

Dear Helpful members of the forum:

I'm trying to do a quick rendering, and for a multitude of reasons I am forced to "fudge" lighting fixtures and positions. To this end, I really want to make the focus points, and associated fixtures invisible...so that I don't have fancy floating Source 4 shadows in front of and behind the plexi glass columns I've created.

I tried classing them into a specified "invisible" class, but ofcourse, that caused the light to go away as well.

I assume it is something simple that I've missed, as this seems to be something that should be easily accessible.

Thanks in advance.

Brad

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You should be able to class and make the focus points invisible with out a problem.

For the lights you have to do something different because with the class off the light is no longer viable.

You should be able to change the Default Instrument Texture to Not Cast or Receive shadows. You will probably need to regenerate the instrument in order to update the texture.

The other option is to edit the 3D symbol and replace the geometry with a small cube.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why not just use render lights to create what you're trying to do, and leave the lighting symbols where you really want them to be?

And go into the default instrument texture and deselect "cast shadows" to prevent your floating shadow problem.

You'll get more realistic and elegant lighting effects on your panels doing it this way.