Vectorworks 2014, big wishlist items in by end of October

Christiaan

Question

I'm taking one last shot at documenting the BIM improvements we need in Vectorworks Architect on http://needleandmortar.com By v2014 we'll either be BIMing economically in VW or we'll be transitioning to Revit/Archicad.

I've recently updated the wiki software to be easier to use but I've also lost Chris D who made a great contribution to the site (his company is moving to the dark side), so I'd welcome input from others: http://needleandmortar.com/wp-login.php?action=register

I want to get in as early as possible in the development cycle this time too. That means we need to have any large requests specified by end of October.

You can see view current content here:

http://needleandmortar.com/projects/

Edited by Christiaan
  • Answers 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Don't write me off just yet...I'll be around here for a few more years...the transition to Revit will be a slow one. Having said that, what spare time I have will be better spent learning Revit rather than on here..

If I were to say the biggest things that VW is missing, for the big 2014 wish list, they would be these, in order of priority too:

1. Vector Elevations

Absolute priority number one. It is completely unacceptable for Vectorworks not to have vector-based elevations from a BIM model. Having to render to generate elevations is just ridiculous, slow, cumbersome and laughable. I can't believe users aren't shouting about it more than they do. Vector elevations should be hidden line, hatched, with no lines between storeys and no diagonal lines across polygon faces. There should also be an OPEN GL shaded option and a vector shadows option. This should be the default view when you look at the face of your model.

2. 3D hatches

See above. They must have sensible real-world scales and have attribute mapping level of control for the origin and orientation.

3. Building Materials

You define a material once, with a face hatch, a section hatch, a shade colour, a render texture. "It just works" in 2D, 3D vector, 3D render...

4. Multiple Model Windows

The idea of only having a single model view on screen is archaic. Two up, is the absolute minimum for 3D work, so you can see your plan and a 3D view at the same time. Selections in one view need to highlight in the other.

5. 3D Reference Planes

It's almost impossible to work accurately in 3D without reference planes.

You draw a 'guide' line on plan: it shows up in section or elevation. You put your building grid on plan: that too shows up in section or elevation. You set your storey heights in the org palette: the elevation benchmarks show up in section and elevation. How the heck can you coordinate a building without this???

That's it. Top 5. Without these, Vectorworks is not even BIM. It's wannaBIM.

On top of that the priorities are better schedules, especially by default, and far better architectural PIOs such as curtain walls (the window wall tool is an absolute embarrassment).

8) Integrated plug-in store.

9) Multiple core(=structural) componrnts for walls.

10) Ability for objects(/pios) to have two corner attributes, so the can go from corner to corner in a wall. (Think of windows with two corners.)

11) Ability to run scripts at key moments like program startup/shutdown, file open/close, printing/export.

12) A better way to localise content. The current system with the plugin texts is too time consuming and must be done over and over.

13) The ability to write plug-ins in other languages than the old C++.

14) The ability to specify the standard class for each type of object, even custom plug-ins.

15) The ability to specify a list of possible standard classes for each type of object.

16) The ability to set if the user can override the standard class.

17) The ability to have one base set and multiple extra sets of classes.

18) The ability to save a visibility set of classes, to be used with viewports.

19) The ability to register changes in the class list, so VW can update older classes to the new ones.

20) Materials linked to classes.

21) A section and elevation fill for classes.

22) A place for a big wish list where users can add stuff and work out various point on how they must work exactly, maybe then will the tools work more intuitive? I think a place like what's Christiaan is doing is a good start. Reposting the same wishes here is time wasting!

23) When mapping hatches or tile fills, they still need to be by class. We need to be able to switch those fills and have the mapping stick!

24) The ability for cad managers to restrict users in what they can do, for helping them and maintaining an office standard.

25) The ability to use hybrid symbols inside roofs, instead of 3d only now.

26) A more flexible story system. Stories that overlap, ...

27) Ability to work with multiple poeple on one project, but not how it is done now.

28) Ability to override classes in sheet layer viewports from referenced design layer viewports.

29) Better puh/pull like the ability to reshape circle holes with it.

30) Merge the auto hybrid into the symbols, less is more, espacially here.

31) Unify the whole program so it's consistent.

32) 4-wall joins.

33) New worksheets! They are really outdated and time consuming!

34) An updated resource palette, think folders for all resources, a search function, Ordening on different properties.

35) FASTER, RESPONSIVE, even on hugh documents!

My top 5 list:

1. Vector Elevations

Absolute priority number one. It is completely unacceptable for Vectorworks not to have vector-based elevations from a BIM model. Having to render to generate elevations is just ridiculous, slow, cumbersome and laughable. I can't believe users aren't shouting about it more than they do. Vector elevations should be hidden line, hatched, with no lines between storeys and no diagonal lines across polygon faces. There should also be an OPEN GL shaded option and a vector shadows option. This should be the default view when you look at the face of your model.

2. 3D hatches

See above. They must have sensible real-world scales and have attribute mapping level of control for the origin and orientation.

3. 3D Reference Planes

It's almost impossible to work accurately in 3D without reference planes.

You draw a 'guide' line on plan: it shows up in section or elevation. You put your building grid on plan: that too shows up in section or elevation. You set your storey heights in the org palette: the elevation benchmarks show up in section and elevation. How the heck can you coordinate a building without this???

4. Increased user friendliness in Worksheets, Schedules and Reports

With much information attached to most objects it is essential for BIM to quickly be able to share and present this information in a range of different ways quickly and intuitively.

5. Intuitive live Window/Door Schedules

Without this functionality doing Window and Door schedules is the single most time consuming and error prone part of drafting in VWs. This includes associative dimensioning!

Edited by Vincent C

Well, it certainly helps....don't know of you could class it as a 'good' alternative....I'm guessing live sections would also mean associative dimensioning would be possible.....

I tried looking on the web for a good clip cube demo, and what it's capable of.

Couldn't find anything of substance.

Edited by Kizza

Well, it certainly helps....don't know of you could class it as a 'good' alternative....I'm guessing live sections would also mean associative dimensioning would be possible.....

I tried looking on the web for a good clip cube demo, and what it's capable of.

Couldn't find anything of substance.

The clip cube is only meant to be a drawing aid, nothing more, nothing less. So you can temporarely isolate a piece of your drawing to better work at it.

Edited by DWorks
Okay, I have word from a little birdie that we need get our act together way before end of October for the big items.

We need to get our act together, are you kidding, the amount of time i spend on this forum is worth the cost of another license for sure.........

Point is if there are any major features missing from v2013 that you'd like prioritised in v2014 then NV need to know by end of October. Nows the time to prioritise v2014 development basically.

I'm meeting NV engineers today. These are the key takeaway points I want to get across:

1. Vectorworks Architect development is going in the right direction, just not nearly fast enough.
  2. We currently need to output traditional 2D information, not 3D BIM output.
  3. We need a better method of working in teams.
  4. Both architects that were here the last time have either moved or are moving to Revit.
  5. One of two things needs to happen:
  1. [*]Stop developing and marketing VWA as a BIM design solution that competes with Revit/ArchiCAD and make into something else. And tell your customers this.

[*]Or hugely increase the development speed of VWA BIM.

Edited by Christiaan
I'm meeting NV engineers today. These are the key takeaway points I want to get across:

2. We currently need to output traditional 2D information, not 3D BIM output.

A. Or hugely increase the development speed of VWA BIM.

LOL 2D BIM ?.......why dont you make the effort to find out what 3D BIM others(including clients want)?

Christiaan means that the 2D output from the 3D model is currently more important then all the export options and ifc. I do agree with this! You Always need to present the stuff, so the presentation (2D output on sheet layers) is really important.