How many users per Licence?

I have had two separate licences for 2010, 2011, 2012 and now 2013.

Occasionally when logging on I am told that I cannot because there is another computer logged on.

This seems reasonable.

As I have paid for 8 separate licences I would like someone to train themselves on one of my old licences so that we don't prevent each other from being able to use one of the new ones.

At least that was the plan

To test this theory I tried running two computers with the same licence of 2012 and, confusingly, they happily ran together. I then logged on to a third with the second licence and that one ran happily too.

I don't get it, how is this supposed to work?

Matt

• 5 years later...

Hi,

I have a vw 2018 E-series license. i have 3 systems 1pc and 2 laptops, I installed in 2 systems but another 1 i tried to install but its showing error.

how to install the another system? 

when i am in office means i am using pc.

when i am in site means i am using laptop.

when i am in home means i am using another laptop.

but i did not  use all systems at the same time.

please give me the solution ASAP

8 hours ago, Raj said:

Hi,

I have a vw 2018 E-series license. i have 3 systems 1pc and 2 laptops, I installed in 2 systems but another 1 i tried to install but its showing error.

how to install the another system? 

when i am in office means i am using pc.

when i am in site means i am using laptop.

when i am in home means i am using another laptop.

but i did not  use all systems at the same time.

please give me the solution ASAP

Because each licensed install is activated on a machine the activated licenses are "node-locked" i.e. locked to the machine, so once two different computers have been registered to have an active license you cannot install it on a 3rd computer (at least that is how it should work).

I'm not 100% sure but uninstalling it from one machine should remove the license for that machine and you can then install it on another machine but it is best to check with support before you do this. Reinstalling on the same computer as from which you uninstalled should not count as a new install, provided you didn't install it on a 3rd computer inbetween).

Otherwise you will have to contact support to have one of the licenses removed so that you can install it on a 3rd computer after which it is installed on 2 computers again.

This still means you can have it only on two machines. Is it not an option to take the work laptop home with you to continue working?

The only other two options are to get a network license that allows you to work offline for a while or a USB dongle license version (if possible). With the latter option you can install it on multiple computers but only use it on the one that has the dongle plugged in. The network license option does require that you can use your home laptop to log on into your work network to retrieve a license, which may not be possible.

Another option could be to get another VW license just for your home laptop, that way you would have two licenses that can each be installed on two computers. But this may be the more expensive option compared to the ones above.

Edited by Art V
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
8 hours ago, Raj said:

What was the exact error you are seeing? The original post was in 2012, when the licensing and network checking worked differently.

1 minute ago, JimW said:

What was the exact error you are seeing? The original post was in 2012, when the licensing and network checking worked differently.

Should it not be possible to install on a 3rd computer if both licenses have been active recently (e.g. last 24 hours)? Or did the licensing system change in such a way that one of the other licenses will automatically get deactivated/disable upon activation on the 3rd computer?

Or does it require an uninstall on one of the current computers first?

The license agreement for E series serial numbers allows for having Vectorworks installed on two machines, and either machine can be used as long as both seats are not in use at the same time.

Uninstalling on it's own does not deactivate Vectorworks, for the time being users need to contact support if they wish to deactivate a license on a machine it was already installed on if they need access to it before it automatically resets to available after 90 days.

3 minutes ago, JimW said:

Uninstalling on it's own does not deactivate Vectorworks, for the time being users need to contact support if they wish to deactivate a license on a machine it was already installed on if they need access to it before it automatically resets to available after 90 days. 

Thanks for the clarification, I already knew about the E-series install limit, so after 90 days of VW not checking the license activation it gets released as available for another install (e.g. new computer)?

I thought it was mentioned somewhere than an uninstall of VW would now also deactivate the license so that it could be installed on another machine, but apparently  I'm mistaken on that one (hence the not 100% sure). Is this, or another way for deactivation by a user, something that may be implemented in future VW versions?

1 minute ago, Art V said:

so after 90 days of VW not checking the license activation it gets released as available for another install (e.g. new computer)?

Correct!

1 minute ago, Art V said:

I thought it was mentioned somewhere than an uninstall of VW would now also deactivate the license so that it could be installed on another machine, but apparently  I'm mistaken on that one (hence the not 100% sure). Is this, or another way for deactivation by a user, something that may be implemented in future VW versions?

Uninstalling is needed for a quicker deactivation to be performed by one of our techs, but it does not deactivate on it's own. We want to give the users more control over this in the future so that awaiting help from our support team isn't needed in normal cases like when moving to a new computer or replacing a lost one.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JimW said:

Uninstalling is needed for a quicker deactivation to be performed by one of our techs, but it does not deactivate on it's own. We want to give the users more control over this in the future so that awaiting help from our support team isn't needed in normal cases like when moving to a new computer or replacing a lost one.

That would be really useful to have, especially when something happens during weekends or holidays when tech support is not available.

It would be nice if VSS subscribers (or anyone with a VW account) could deactivate through their (VSS) portal on a per machine basis in case of e.g. a computer crash when a regular deactivation is not possible.

• Like 4

I have sent a letter to customer service to complain about the 3 computer limitation - the system check via internet the serial number. So why the limitation. I have two offices, home, country home and two laptops. I pay for a software service and have to play disconnect-conect game which trying to fulfill my work responsibilities. I purchased the program for the "versatility" and limited for something so stupid. Please send your complaints so they can see the problem they are causing their users. If we do not let them know what they are doing wrong and help correct it we might as well get ready to buy the Rotring and go back to the drawing table.....

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

Ok this is super confusing;

So if I understand correctly @Jim Wilson;

Say I have 1 E-series license, and 3 PCs.

- PC1 > I installed VW on the 2nd of Feb

- PC2 > I installed VW on the 4th of April

- PC3 > nothing installing

After 90 days on either install, the licensing/activation is dropped from whichever PC;

- PC1 = 3rd May; so 4th of May license is free

- PC2 = 3rd July; so 4th of July license is free

So when I install onto PC3 on the 4th of May; the licensing moves from PC1 to PC3? and now I have PC2 and PC3 available for use only? Freeing up PC1?

Another question:

When you say licenses are tied to a machine, if my PC crashed, and I need to reinstall windows (same machine); re-installing VW on this machine, does that count as using up 1 of the 2 seats? Or does the servers know, its coming from this previously activated machine?

You can have it installed on TWO machines and use either machine as long as you don't use both concurrently. There is no PC3 permitted by the license agreement.

If you installed and activated on a machine, and then did not open or use Vectorworks on that machine for 90 days, or didn't have internet access for 90 days, that machine would no longer have it's license. It doesn't release it actively, it just expires.

However, if you just reinstall windows from an OEM disk (and not install another copy or version of windows from elsewhere), it most likely will not require using up another activation. Normally the activation server can see that the machine is the same one and it will simply refresh the activation and not use up a new one. However, this is a totally normal use case and if you DO hit the activation limit when this happens, you can call in to tech support, we can check the license history and then clean up your activations for you to get you going. In the future we'd rather have a portal so that you can see all your activations and administer them yourself.

Ok, I see now. I am in the process of re-installing my VW2018 on my second PC.

I had it on there since March 2018, PC crashed last October. I re-installed windows, and VW, and activated it with no hiccups.

Now the new Windows 10 version 1809 update has caused problems and I cant roll back to my previous (just installed 2 weeks ago) windows install, so I have to reinstall the this Windows 10 version 1809 as a fresh install and not an upgrade.

This is all on my 2nd PC. so hopefully the vectorworks servers pick it up. I will notify our local resellers if there's any issues. Thanks for the clarifications @Jim Wilson

Cheers,

Tui

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, John Whyte said:

How many computers can i install my license on ?

I have three computers, i sync all my files between them using dropbox.

I would like to be able to install VWX on all my 3 machines, obviously i would only be able to run it on one machine at at time. 

Is that possible ? 

The EULA allows an E series license to be installed on 2 machines and use it on either one or the other at a given time.

On 11/14/2018 at 3:14 PM, twk said:

Ok, I see now. I am in the process of re-installing my VW2018 on my second PC.

I had it on there since March 2018, PC crashed last October. I re-installed windows, and VW, and activated it with no hiccups.

Now the new Windows 10 version 1809 update has caused problems and I cant roll back to my previous (just installed 2 weeks ago) windows install, so I have to reinstall the this Windows 10 version 1809 as a fresh install and not an upgrade.

This is all on my 2nd PC. so hopefully the vectorworks servers pick it up. I will notify our local resellers if there's any issues. Thanks for the clarifications @Jim Wilson

Cheers,

Tui

Same here ....