Create Custom Arrowheads

bc

Hello...

Is there a way to create one's own arrowheads and have them show up in the attributes menu (marker list)?

I know you can edit the ones in the list of markers but I would like to create one of my own from scratch.

I don't particularly want to VectorWorkAround and create a symbol that I have to pull out of the resource browser and individually add on to each line.

Any ideas. Thanks.

You can select "Edit Marker List" from the pull down menu on the attribute pallet and then "New."

This will give you all of the standard arrowheads to choose from which you can then tweak CONSIDERABLY to create a number of other different looking objects.

For example: Using the Oval, I set the width to a large number and thereby created a long bar to be used for detail cuts.

It's not a perfect solution, but it might get you closer to where you want to go.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Thanks Matthew, I'll investigate that.

EDIT: this doesn't quite get me there. I guess you can't get there from here.

Click on the New button in the "Edit Marker List" dialog to create a new marker.

You should be able to create any number of new markers of your own based on different root types.

Is there any particular marker geometry that you haven't been able to create ?

Hugues

NV

Yes it's an old fashioned style (hand drawn) similar to one half a curved arrowhead but with an additional rounded tail return that is on the other side of the line and behind the arrow. For CAD it's fancy pants stuff but hand drawn on the old blue prints it offers incredible subtlety.

I won't be able to get it from the edit marker dialogs.

I don't absolutely need it but for some presentation purposes I had in mind.

I was hoping there was some vwx file with all the markers I could add my shape to.

Oh well.

• 3 years later...

Just thought I'd bump this to repeat my initial question since it's years later now.

I would like to use this arrowhead (line marker) on occasion:Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 12.01.57 PM.png

I would like this end marker to be in the attributes menu for use like any other.

Is there some folder, like for the titleblocks, where I can place this geometry or is this simply not doable?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

They're still strangely embedded in documents kind of how line types used to be. I suspect going forward they will be made into a proper manageable resource for exactly the reasons you state here and above. We're cleaning up all the old leftover stuff like that, where frequently used attributes or styles are obscured in some defaults file or otherwise inaccessible.

• 1 year later...

On 9/22/2016 at 0:16 PM, JimW said:

They're still strangely embedded in documents kind of how line types used to be.

@JimW, I thought new marker types got written to some file hidden on my hard drive. When I add a new marker type, and then open up a new file from scratch, the new marker type is still there on the marker list, so it doesn't seems to be independent of the document that was open when it got created. 

What is the best way to share a custom marker list with a whole office besides going around to each machine a re-editing the list?

Thanks,
Matt 

• 5 months later...
On 10/21/2017 at 3:43 AM, bc said:

Indeed, my new installation of 2018 obliterated the customized markers of my marker list.

How do I at least get them back?  Where are the custom markers located?

No response to this so I am guessing it is not currently possible to have custom markers migrate from one version of vectorworks to another?

i have just upgraded to VW2018 and my dozen or so custom markers did not migrate with it. Is there some secrete workaround someone can share?