Standard Naming and Dimensions

OK, so I still can't get Standard naming to work for dimensions, what ever settings I try the dimensions always end up in the Dimensions class, anyone?

HOWEVER, I have found a workaround, just rename the default Dimensions class (which cannot be deleted btw) to the name you want, apparently this works now?!

Please NVs remove the Dimensions option in the standard naming dialog to avoid confusion.......

Edited by Vincent C

Vincent, the problem is that the default option in documents is for dimensions to go into the Dimension Class. As you are creating them they are automatically going into that Class.

if you don't want the Dimensioning to do this you need to uncheck that in the Document Preferences (File menu/Document Settings/Document Preferences...). See attached image. With that unchecked dimensions should then go into the Class you specify when you are dimensioning.

True, but that beats the idea of the custom Standard Naming function.....that's where my hash is, it works for all other objects but not Dimensions (I still believe it is a bug or an error in the Standard Naming dialog, if it can't work remove it from the options (like Spaces) or fix it so it works like in other objects).

Edited by Vincent C
Our template has made use of this for years.

....all this time and you couldn't drop a hint? :grin:

This is VWs in a nut shell, so much undiscovered power under the hood but no where to find out what power and how to use it. Apart from it being frustrating for current users, this really reflects badly on the software because in essence it is more intuitive than many believe.

• 2 years later...

My understanding is that the standard naming is already running on the background for the selected standard. For example when you create a PIO door it automatically assigns the glass used with the door to "Glazing>Clear". I have to manually change the PIO settings not to do this. Rather, if I change the Naming Standard to what I desire to be named then I wouldn't have to do this. Am I right? Please notice that I'm leaving "enable auto-classing" off.