2012 - 2013 Referencing Problem

Ok his one might take a bit of explaining but here we go.

I have been modelling up a 3 storey building in 2012 using layers to separate Grid, Slabs, Floors & Roof.

The main drawing (The model file) is used as the base for all other detailed drawings which are created with viewports and annotations and title blocks.

It is important that drawings are separated into a number of files for other staff to work on concurrently.

So we have "Model files" and "Drawing Files" as a workaround to concurrent drawing.

In 2012 this worked well and all of our drawings are set up in this fashion, it enables multiple people to detail up a job using a central model file.

But...

After converting the project from 2012 to 2013 using batch convert there is an issue with referencing.

Some layers within the model can be referenced while others cannot.

i.e. the "Grid" layer works fine but the "Floor Plan" layers fail.

The attached PDF illustrates the problem.

It is a high resolution PDF so you can zoom in to see the screen grabs.

I have tried to turn off all the classes when creating the viewport to try and isolate any objects in the failing layers that may be causing the problem.

This did not work as the program crashed as soon as I selected the Floor Plan layer as active in the viewport.

After converting the project from 2012 to 2013 using batch convert there is an issue with referencing.

Practice has generally taught us to finish projects in the version they were created.......

... I know this is not what you want to hear and it doesn't help you in anyway but sadly you have unwillingly proven this again.....

Often when this happens, a solution sometimes is to create a clean file in the version you want to work and copy all objects from the converted file to the new file......however it can be quite a lot of work to get the file where you want it to be especially with objects that are bound to stories and levels etc.

Edited by Vincent C
When I converted one of my projects from 2012->2013 I couldn't even re-connect the workgroup references without crashing.

As with Vincent I definitely recommend finishing existing projects in previous version.

That's not good news Christiaan, and has put the brakes on us converting anything to 2013 until SP1 at the earliest. We strongly rely on referencing for our projects.

As for keeping projects in the "current" version, that's always a tough one from my point of view. Most of our jobs are 2-3 years in process (from jump-up to occupancy). Based on NV's yearly release cycle, this doesn't work that well, as users would have to be working on 3 versions of the software based on which project they were assigned to.

We had excellent success porting all projects from VW12.5.3 to VW2011. I'd like to stay on version now, but as I say, not until the first service pack is released.

V-G.

Thanks for the responses. I don't think it's good enough to accept having to finish a project in its original version given the hectic release schedule and promised benefits of VSS.

That being said there are some positive signs....

As an update to the issue I can confirm that this particular problem is Machine specific in our office. Only one machine (mine) has trouble with the file.

I am able to carry out all steps of referencing on the other machines.

I agree Dybowski,

One of the things that irks me about Select Service and other annual subscription models is that the software developer already has our money. There is less onus to have a stable release out of the gate, because many users have already upgraded (fiscally speaking).

Although our transition from VW12.5.3 to VW2011 was pretty seamless on the software side, our staff had to learn a lot of new features in transitioning to the new version. In future, I'd like to minimize that by implementing the latest version within a few months after release, and port projects over once we're sure the feature set we rely on is bug-free. After 20+ years of doing this (all in MC/VW), I am convinced this is the best way to go.

VG

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~George Bernard Shaw