Export to .dae (Collada) and .fbx Not working

Patrick Fritsch

In 2013 the Renderworks module has new option to export as .fbx or .dae but when I open these file types in other software that support them the .dae crash the program and the .fbx geometry is like a bowl of mixed noodles.

Has anyone had succes in exporting these file types and if yes, what software were you using to import.

I've tried .dae in Maxwell Studio, Sketchup pro 8 and Blender.

I've tried .fbx in Maxwell Studio

Thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello again Fritsch:

Sketchup does not like wireframe objects, which we export because they are shown in VW (and C4D). We have to remove no-fill 3D objects from the exported file for Sketchup et al to like the files. When unfilled wireframe objects are removed from the VW file the COLLADA file imports correctly into Sketchup. Until then you might delete no-fill objects on the VW side before exporting. Planar objects also should not be going out, things like dimensions on layer planes, section lines, etc. Your file had a section line that went into the exported file as unfilled geometry, which is why Sketchup doesn't like it.

Maxwell does not accept four-sided polygons, only triangles. VW would have to only export triangles to get Maxwell to accept the COLLADA and FBX exports. I think we can do something for COLLADA export potentially near-term, so that would be the preferred way to get a file into Maxwell. I am looking into exporting only triangles from FBX but don't know when that would happen.

HTH

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello again Patrick:

Thanks a lot for the bug file, it was necessary to make sure your issues have all been addressed.

It looks like all your issues will be fixed for SP2:

1. 3DS export in Unified View (which is I think what you're seeing - all layers went to the ground). A workaround for this might have been to use DLVPs for exporting the multiple layers, but I haven't tried that.

2. Sketchup crashing on import of COLLADA and FBX files with 3D lines.

3. Fixing poor import in Maxwell of COLLADA and FBX files because Maxwell Studio cannot handle quadrilaterals.

• 1 month later...

Dave, are we anywhere near getting the solution to this? I'd like to know as I paid extra for Renderworks in this release as it was advertised as being able to export Collada files. 1/4th of the yearly lifecycle of releases has passed with no resolution to this false advertisement. I now would expect 1/4th reimbursement from NNA. Please advise.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave, much better export results for the .FBX and .DAE all geometry is now maintaining their position. I'm just in the process of checking if geometry normals are exported in the right direction and if the UV's are good.

Note; I'll most likely be using the Collada (.dae) format most often, so it would be nice if you guys over there could include a import .dae option with the next release of VW. That would help to provide a much better "open" round-tripping workflow. Especially now that Sketchup announced at the 3D basecamp that they will be providing even better support for Collada in the 2013 version of Sketchup.

Thanks for the follow-up

Edited by Fritsch