How to use References or XRefs in Vectorworks?

amybeginner

Hello,

I'm a Microstation user, and have used AutoCAD also, Vectorworks is all new to me. I'm looking at how to reference in another Vectorworks file. For example I'd like to be able to reference in a first floor plan into the file for drawing the second floor plan (and be able to turn the first floor file off and on and copy bits from it). In short it is the digital equivalent of using tracing paper on a drawing board for an architect.

I've already figured out how to reference in jpgs to allow me draw over sketches I've made.

I know how to do this in other CAD packages but haven't found where the toolbar or drop down option is for this. I've been using Vectorworks now for a total of 4 hours so please be clear as I'm not too familiar with shortcuts etc just yet.

Amy

Vectorworks version 2011

In VWs you need to import the dwg and save it as a native VWs file first (as opposed to AutoCAD, Microstation and ArchiCAD that reference dwgs straight off), this is best done in a clean new file especially created for this purpose (importing dwgs into active files can cause a lot of problems). You then create a DLVP (design layer viewport) using the dwg imported file as the external reference. The advantage of this is also that when the dwg changes you simply create a new VWs file with the new dwg import and with the same name and replace the old one, the changes will then be visible after update in your working file.