Polyline snapping

Rounded rectangles now snap (per Object constraint) to the ends of the arcs / beziers that make up the rounded corners, instead of the theoretical _corners_.Along the same line, there is an odd and inconsistent behavior from snapping to a 'composed' polygon comprised of an arc in between -- and tangent to -- two lines. Whereas the reshape command shows a theoretical corner, and I can draw out that handle as though it was an arc, and the object snapping identifies 'arc' at the arc ends, BUT it also indicates 'centre' at the (get this):midpoints of theoretical lines which would define the curve of a bezier, exactly what happens when you Add Surface with an arc (i.e. the arc turns into a couple of beziers).

Why the half-half behavior? Why doesn't Compose turn an arc into an arc vertex? Does this have to do with tangency?

Compose does turn arcs into arc vertices of polylines.

Rounded rectangles are a special case because they can have all kind's or different aspect ratios for the curves. If it is a symmetrical ratio... then VectorWorks should be treating them as arc's when you convert them to polylines, otherwise it's a series of polylines.

Just play with various rounded rectangles and the decompose command to see what each is made of.

Your right about the change from 8->9 and the corner snaps. I'll check to see if this is going to be called a regression bug or a design change. My guess is it's a design change.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

"object snapping identifies 'arc' at the arc ends, BUT it also indicates 'centre' at the (get this):midpoints of theoretical lines which would define the curve of a bezier, exactly what happens when you Add Surface with an arc (i.e. the arc turns into a couple of beziers)"

I agree that it's likely a design change, yet I'm not complaining about IT, per se (there are ups and down to both 'arc vertex' and 'corner vertex-but-rounded-sorta'). I just want to know why it says 'Centre' where it does. THAT item doesn't appear to be deliberate...

The corner snapping is not a design change, it's a regression bug. Probably too late at this point but that is what maintenance release are for.

The center prompt is being caused by a separate bug with Bezier vertices in polylines. That was introduced when we changed how snapping works inside symbols.

Basically, a rounded rectangle corner is broken up into 3 Bezier polylines, at the last vertice of the polyline you get a center prompt instead of a point prompt.

In investigating this, we also discovered a new bug with the decompose command in the development version.

Let me know if you have further questions,Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support