Selectable group-level class

Christiaan

Question

Have a look at the class structure below. I'd like the option to merge the separate class "Class Name" and the hierarchical group name, so that it doesn't show separately above the group. You would then be able to edit the group class directly. And, with the help of the option key, you could choose whether you want to control the visibility of the individual class or the whole group.

Hierarchical view:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8020&filename=hierarchical.png

Non-hierarchical view:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8021&filename=non-hierarchical.png

Furthermore, I'd like to then be able to select the top level of a group class in the class drop down menu, like so:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8022&filename=drop-down.png

I understand why NV have done it the way they have. So perhaps to make the above option consistent it could be set to create top-level classes by default when creating sub-level classes? So if you create a class called "Class Name-1" it would also create a "Class Name" class automatically. How to deal with existing files though that don't have top-level classes though?

Am I making sense?

9 answers to this question

+1

It could look something like this:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8024&filename=hierarchical.png

Furthermore, I'd like to then be able to select the top level of a group class in the class drop down menu, like so:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8022&filename=drop-down.png

This could work if they merge the single class name with the class group name, problem is that it is not possible to see which class group does or does not have a similarly named single class, if you get my drift....that would need a visual aid perhaps with square brackets for the class group that also exists as a single class:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8025&filename=Drop%20down.png

What I think you're basically after C. is to clean up the classes list eg. shorten and therefore clarify it make it more effective (faster) to work with.

Edited by Vincent C
+1

This is the reason we avoid such classes, and are using 'Class Name - General' for example instead.

That's what we do. It's one of those small things that unnecessarily complicates the program.

And makes class names unnecessarily long......which in its turn isn't good for dialog boxes, drop downs etc......

Edited by Vincent C

I would like this to go one stage further. At present, its only a hierarchy of name, but I would really like it to be a true hierarchical class structure where sub classes can take their properties from its parent class.

So where an object can have an attribute by class, the class can be a subclass which takes its attribute from its parent. So a change to attributes in a single class (when a parent) can affect both objects of the parent and objects of the subclass, unless overridden in the subclass or object, the latter as can be done now.

I would like this to go one stage further. At present, its only a hierarchy of name, but I would really like it to be a true hierarchical class structure where sub classes can take their properties from its parent class.

So where an object can have an attribute by class, the class can be a subclass which takes its attribute from its parent. So a change to attributes in a single class (when a parent) can affect both objects of the parent and objects of the subclass, unless overridden in the subclass or object, the latter as can be done now.

+10000....

This would be an amazing feature.

+ Add another fill so we can have a section fill and a normal view fill, so all those double classes can be removed.

+ Add materials, so we can decide if that class is some kind of material where it can take some properties from.

+ Add linking between classes to share attributes, because now we need multiple classes with the same attributes just for visibility and takeoff reasons.