New renderworks

D Wood

The moire effect is not something that Renderworks cause or can fix. There is quite a lot on the web about what causes it.

Hopefully with the advent of higher resolution screens (e.g. retina display) and software + video drive adaptation this issue may to some degree may be mitigated for at least on screen display.

Time will tell.

Bob

Thanks for the responses, but other programs don't seem to have the problem - I attach screenshots from a building company website which show weatherboards (sidings) without a problem.

All I want is for VW to do the same.

Forgive my exasperation, but every VW issue comes with new whizzo tools and toys, yet the elephant in the room for me is that I still cannot show my clients what their house will look like in the cladding of their choice, I can only show flat plaster-like surfaces.

Peter

Thank you for your reply.

My render is Final Quality RW, it's a 3D perspective view of the model, saved as an Export Image File.

I have wondered about modelling profiled weatherboards, but does that mean you have to fit them around every door & window opening? Besides, the renders on the builder's website are plainly flat textures.

Partly solved, thanks for the clue, Nicholas.

I have been exporting as .jpg images 770 pixels wide, because that is the width required by my website - I just tried it at 7700 pixels and bingo, it renders perfectly (much slower, but I can live with that).

Now, how do I reduce the .jpg image to 1/10 its size, and will the interference patterns reappear?

Edited by D Wood

To answer my own questions:

I imported the 7700 pixel wide .jpg into iPhoto, which allows me to modify the size when exporting, so I now have a 770 pixel wide image with no Moire patterning!

At last, I've been stymied by this for years.

Compare the attached with my first post, both 770 pixels wide.

Partly solved, thanks for the clue, Nicholas.

I have been exporting as .jpg images 770 pixels wide, because that is the width required by my website - I just tried it at 7700 pixels and bingo, it renders perfectly (much slower, but I can live with that).

You shouldn't need to go that large. I rarely export at much more than 2000 across because that comes out at a file which will print to A3 happily and any more is a waste of time etc.

Try exporting at 800 or 1000 (but not double, because -like harmonics- you might get the interference pattern again).

OK, thank you, I'll try 2000p.

iPhoto lets you select a pixel width to export (under Custom), so I don't need to enter a complicated fraction.

Sorry, but are you rendering the scene on screen (or something like that) and then exporting the screen via iPhoto?

If you're unfamiliar, the best thing is to use the VW Export Image File command. Then you have "complete" control over it. You also dont have to wait for it to render to export.

Start it off in the render mode you want then hit Esc to stop the render. Then go to the export dialogue.

HTH

Nicholas

Yes, I'm rendering the model on screen, then exporting an image file (.jpg) to the desktop (@ 2000 pixels wide as suggested), importing it into iPhoto, then exporting from iPhoto back to the desktop at 770 pixels.

I guess I could export from VW direct to iPhoto, I'll try doing that as well.

This often happens when rendering at a relatively low resolution, and can be especially visible when rendering viewports at 72dpi and sometimes as high as 100dpi or 150. As Nicholas mentioned, it is worth altering the output resolution a bit to see if the problem disappears. If you're rendering in a viewport, changing the sheet layer's DPI will change or eliminate this moire both on screen and in the exported image file.

Another cause of this is the use of excessively large image files used for textures. There's a relationship between the size of the originating image file and the final output when such an image file is converted to a texture. In this situation, a large image file may represent a small texturing tile (for example 400mm square), but using an image file of, say, 1 or 2 MB in size. If this is the problem, consider opening the image file in an image editing application, and saving it as a smaller size prior to re-using it in a texture.

Dan J.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Rather than rendering huge images then scaling them down using an image processing app, instead just use Custom Renderworks and set the Anti-aliasing Quality setting to Very High.

Final Quality RW uses the AA setting at High, for things like roofs with regular patterns and lots of repeats you sometimes may need Very High.