clip cube

like many, i was anticipating some form of live section tool in 2013. now we have the clip cube. but, how does one get anything useful out of it? i'm obviously going about wrong.

first is navigation, probably something that will take getting used to, but i don't see how to precisely line up the planes of the cube with the objects that i want to view.

second, sections...when i "clip" my model, the part outside the cube disapears as expected. but, i don't see the edges of the objects being cut by the cube's cutting plane, i.e. the section. is there a setting to make those edges visible? isn't that kind of the idea?

third, the clipping only seems to show in wireframe and open gl modes. in all rendering modes (hidden line, polygon, renderworks, etc) the model is shown in its entirety, not clipped. what am i missing here?

any input appreciated.

cheers,

ray

I would have hoped that you could use this to isolate a 3d portion of the model and print it with a hidden line or rendered view with some notations. I was hoping for the inverse as well, rendering an entire structure but using the clip cube to 'scoop out' a portion of the model so you can see inside.

So when I upgrade I shouldn't expect either of these features to be possible?

Joe

joe,

from what i see, you can't do what you are hoping. when i rendered with hidden line, polygon, or render works, the renderer responded as though the clip cube was there. maybe there is more to it that i'm able to accomplish.

i was hoping that it would function like the section plane in sketchup. but, looks like i will have to restate my wish for live sections on the wish list...yet once again.

cheers,

ray