2013 feedback

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am experiencing approx 3 second delay when changing sheet, editing viewports, extrudes, groups, etc.... very frustrating. I am going back to 2012 till this issues is resolved. I hope it is fixed soon.

Do you have the hierarchical display option for your classes turned on? Someone in another thread suggested turning that off speeds things up. Its probably worth a try.

I have had some slowdowns as well. One was related to using the auto hybrid object, which I had placed in a symbol so there were multiple versions of it on the drawing. Things slowed down dramatically so I ditched it for a traditional hybrid symbol.

Kevin

thank you for the suggestion, but this did not solve the issue.

I grabbed a stopwatch to get a more accurate time on the delay.

Example #1 - In the edit viewport box, from hitting "OK" to being in a 3D wireframe viewport 10 sec

Example #2 - In the edit viewport box, from hitting "OK" to being in a 2D plan view 9 sec

Example #3 - Changing between sheet views 9 sec

Example #4 - double clicking group to edit 5 sec

These are significant delays. Any other suggestions????

Edited by MJasonM

I am also experiencing ridiculous delays when editing groups, changing layers, viewports etc. 17 to 22 secs each time, which if editing groups is of course times 2- ungroup and group again.

This is completely unworkable, so I am also ditching Vectordoesn'twork 2013 until the matter is sorted out.

Surely the beta testers must have come across this problem.

Nemetschek state than navigation is quicker. I think it is marginally quicker , but only if you don't have to change layers or edit groups or Viewports.

Also, I found that the detail option, although very welcome, I have wanted this feature since Minicad6, is very slow and sticky.

I have 4MB GB of RAM, but as XP is only 32 bit, this means that only about 3.2MB is available.

Are Nemetschek trying to tell us that we have to upgrade to 64bit systems? This means all other programmes on your computer have to be upgraded. The cost!!

I am going back to 2012, which also had many initial slownesses.

In the pase, we found that projects being upgraded from previous versions did not run as smoothly as projects started in the new version. It could be the translation of certain legacy objects are causing the lagging.

I have not been using it in depth but in my playing around I have found it quite a bit faster than 2012.

This feels like a minor release to me. The one big development for me and the firm I work for is the background rendering. Being able to continue to use VWs while rendering a viewport will be a huge time saver. Beyond that, there is not a whole lot to be all that excited about.

Some of the other threads indicated that 2014 is going to be a more substantial upgrade. Maybe they are completing the migration away from Quicktime and to a 64bit program?

Collectively though Tom there is quite a lot in Vw 2013:

- the 3D improvements make working in 3D much easier and working in a perspective projection is now practical.

- the Auto Hybrid Object is pretty neat if you create a lot of your own 3D content.

- the Door and Window improvements are very good.

- being able to select multiple PIO objects and edit them simultaneously is a good time saver.

- the Roof tool is more robust and much quicker.

- Surface Array expands the possibilities of what you can do organically in Architect.

- the Space tool is improved.

- Custom Line Types expands what you can represent.

- being able to read and write DWF files is very handy.

- the DWG export is better and being able to produce 2D DWG files from any Vw 3D view is pretty neat.

- Rhino import and export expands the exchange possibilities.

Also in every release there are always a raft of small changes and improvements that don't get much publicity. Vectorworks 2013 is no different and the more you use it the more you will find.

In the pase, we found that projects being upgraded from previous versions did not run as smoothly as projects started in the new version. It could be the translation of certain legacy objects are causing the lagging.

Then what to do with our big libraries? Starting over?

We do not maintain a central library of custom objects. We steal things from project to project, and in those cases we will jump into an old file and bring that object up.

For all I know, that does not actually cause problems, and the performance issues were not from upgrading but simply from the complexity of the files. But my gut tells me that upgrading a series of interconnected complex files will unavoidably leads to some translation bug somewhere.

Collectively though Tom there is quite a lot in Vw 2013:

- the 3D improvements make working in 3D much easier and working in a perspective projection is now practical.

- the Auto Hybrid Object is pretty neat if you create a lot of your own 3D content.

- the Door and Window improvements are very good.

- being able to select multiple PIO objects and edit them simultaneously is a good time saver.

- the Roof tool is more robust and much quicker.

- Surface Array expands the possibilities of what you can do organically in Architect.

- the Space tool is improved.

- Custom Line Types expands what you can represent.

- being able to read and write DWF files is very handy.

- the DWG export is better and being able to produce 2D DWG files from any Vw 3D view is pretty neat.

- Rhino import and export expands the exchange possibilities.

Also in every release there are always a raft of small changes and improvements that don't get much publicity. Vectorworks 2013 is no different and the more you use it the more you will find.

You are right, there are a few new tools - some of which will make work much faster, better, but this is not what I would call a major or bench mark release. Small tweaks like adding tilt turn to the window tool are nice, but should not be included in New Features of the program.

For me the biggest thing, and it is not on your list is the background rendering. That is the type of significant change that is going to seriously effect workflow.

If hidden line being faster or the space tool being improved is being called a new feature of the release, you know you are in an off year.

2014 Give Me:

64Bits

Overhauled Usable Stair Tool

Live Sections

Revit Object Import

Door and Window Type and Variations

2D Hatches on 3D Objects

Overhauled Worksheets

Electrical Tools

Maxwell Plugin

Submitting the bug was the first thing i did...

I have been using VW since MiniCad 4.5... I love VW, but the first realease of each version is always buggy. For this reason I stayed with Ver 2008 till I went to 2012.

Anyways, I look forward to the issue getting worked out, but for now, I am sticking with 2012