Angled Truss in VW 2013

Jason-Baeri

• 2 years later...

Thought I'd reignite an old thread seeing as it's been a few years and there's still no good way to do this in VW 2016. Anyone at VW still looking at this or is this one of the "sure kid, we'll consider it" wasteland objects for the 2096 version?

Plot and model view is still a clunky, ineffective, and destructive-to-workflow solution and doesn't really address the needs of modern entertainment designers. It destroys the layer/class structure that a user may have for a document and it breaks the ability to see the 2D nature of a hybrid object if that plot and model viewport is rotated. I say this as I'm currently re-drawing a perfectly good layout of over 300 fixtures on a vertical wall in plan view (read: drawing the same thing twice in the same drawing), so you'll have to excuse the vitriol.

Just to be clear, the request/need at years and years later is still:

- add a property to truss objects to allow them to be rotated about the XYZ position form a single point in space in 3D view while retaining their flat plan hanging view in 2d views

and

- add a way to view label legend information in 3D views so we don't have to draw things multiple times.

Anyone else still frustrated by this?

Thanks in advance for hearing me out again VW. Could really use some attention on this after all this time.

I'd still love to see some progress on this as well.

I'm tired of having to convert hybrid objects to 3D-only to do my rotates and then lose all of the functionality associated with the rest of the tools.

Have you tried the Design Layer Viewport (DLVP) workflow? It does solve this problem, though perhaps not as easily as you might like. That said, there are several advantages to this. The only disadvantage I have with the process at all is:

a.) I cannot export directly to a visualization program

b.) Vectorworks has some bug issues in seeing the DLVPs in wireframe 3D views from time to time which should be addressed, but is thus far still an issue.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd check in for my yearly update. Nope, Vectorworks 2018, still no easy way to do an angled truss that presents a clear flat hanging view for my electricians prepping the gig while simultaneously allowing me to view the hanging angle correctly in 3d. And no, Plot and model view is still not a good solution because it destroys my class/layer setup that allows the easily print a view that's, say, just truss, or just a certain fixture type.

Maybe next version...

Jason,

I understand your frustration, however, I HIGHLY recommend using the Design Layer Virewport method for this. As far as I am aware, Plot and Model is VW’s way of automating the process so I highly applaud them for coming up with that but I, like you, do not want a disrupted workflow. The DLVP process fits very nicely inside my workflow and solves the exact problem you mention seamlessly. There are a few tricks to it to make it seamless but once you work through the entire process (which really isn’t much of a process at all once you understand and implement it properly) it works far better than you might ever imagine. I am almost positive you would agree because I felt the same way as you when I first saw Landru demonstrate it. It frankly hacked me off. Once I (finally) wrapped my head around the implementation I have found the process vital to almost any drawing I now do. I use it all the time. 

I hope to put together a video detailing the process. 

12 hours ago, Rob Books said:

Even if you use the hang angle now available with Braceworks, to give you the truss at the angle you want it to be hung at, you would still need to do a specialized plan view for the electricians to work off of. there is no way around it.  <Old Man Hat>Back in the day of Hand drafting, you drew the shortened view, and then off to the side did the flat view.  it is still the same in computers, you just have viewports to aid you in that.  </Old Man Hat>

That is exactly right. I would hazard to say that we have Viewports that not only aid in that process but more or less automate it. There are so many benifits to working this way that ignoring this process means one is really missing out on some spectacular functionality. Yep, I am a true believer. 

Now, if we could export those view ports directly into visualization packages......