Surface Array Tool in 2013

Guest BillV

While the surface array can do some amazing things I feel it has a potential problem area - or maybe I am just not using it correctly?

I am trying to create a wood paneled wall. In the attached you will see I have created my wall with a door, extracted a polygon and built my panel.

When applying surface array (panel object to the extracted polygon) the array does not appear able to allow for the door aperture.

Any help anyone?

Yes, Jonathan that does work. Well "sort of" as we discovered!

Whilst this is a good tool for certain applications I don't think that it's suitable for what I am trying to do here. I have also tried weatherboard and not super successful. For these issue I will stick to tried and true methods.

There are also issues if the NURBS surface is deemed to be too complex.

• 5 weeks later...
It is not so easy to decipher what setting actually does what in the dialog.

I had a bit of spare time so I was just trying to figure out how the surface array tool works. Seems very limited in what you can do with it.

Vincent - how did you get the repeated surface to offset the brick. i still cant work this out?

I was just experimenting to see if i could get a brick stretcher coursing pattern.

Guest Mark Flamer

You can stagger the brick by setting the offset factors. These represent the percentage of shift between each row or column in relation to the size of a module(brick in this case).

Edited by Mark Flamer