Kudos VW 2013 Rollout

With the release of VW 2013, some deserved praise is due to the leadership team, the development team, the marketing/sales team, the training resources team, and the web team - and whoever else was involved in an impressive release roll-out. Interest is usually and rightfully focused on the features, but how the story is told reveals something about the soul of a company.

This is the third release (all via the web) I've seen, and each better than the former. This one is leaps and bounds better in that the information about this Vectorworks release has an obviously fresh, polished look and unified feel. And it's more than eye-candy.

In particular, the quality and quantity of the 2013 training resources via the website are a pleasant surprise. These are new works and they are well organized to show off the new features in a practical manner. I've just began to work my way through them and wish I had more time. It is evident, this resource took a lot of upfront commitment, team coordination and dogged follow-through.

Regarding features and functionality, we all have our wish list. Some things "finally" delivered, several surprises, and of course some wishes yet fulfilled. But things are definitely moving in a healthy direction with an apparent corporate-level commitment to advance the company product line along multiple paths. Very welcome news to quail rumors of stagnation or worse.

At some point, I'd like to see the visual design excellence demonstrated in the web and print graphics spill over to a rework of the Windows GUI. It is so washed-out compared to the Mac Cocoa style. Something less 1990's, but please not the MS ribbon. Perhaps something professional and proven like the Tango project which Firefox, VM Ware and others use.

I suspect a GUI refresh will come about before too long following the pending Windows 8 GUI disaster to descend on the masses. And especially after seeing a job well done on the core application development, new partnerships and the impressive audio-visual roll-out effort.

So good job all.

Pour a round or two, take a bow, and then get back to work on VW 2014... you raised the bar of this user's expectations, and it's appreciated.

At some point, I'd like to see the visual design excellence demonstrated in the web and print graphics spill over to a rework of the Windows GUI. It is so washed-out compared to the Mac Cocoa style. Something less 1990's, but please not the MS ribbon. Perhaps something professional and proven like the Tango project which Firefox, VM Ware and others use.

I like the current gui on Windows, it's both beautifull and professional looking. Don't go tango. Tango is only about the colors used for a unified look. The current gui has already a unified look. And if they switch, go ribbon!

I suspect a GUI refresh will come about before too long following the pending Windows 8 GUI disaster to descend on the masses.

I love Windows 8! I also wasn't pro for it at first, but the idea and filosofy behind it is really great! After using it for a while, I really begin to love it for it's simplicit. It really works much better and faster than before. It's all straight forward and clear.