New Rotate Tool

I know they have improved it but the entire rotation thing in VW still seems to conspire against me all the time.

I would hope that it can work in an intuitive way just like it does in C4D or 3DS Max.

When I try and rotate a hybrid object (light for example) I get the usual dialogue box stating that Hybrid objects can only be rotated in a plane parallel to the active layer plane and I then have to go back to the slow way of ticking the "set 3D Orientation" box and then typing a value. This is way too slow and not very intuitive at all.

Maybe I am doing it all wrong though so I would be extremely happy for someone to tell me the correct way of doing it :-)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Simon

Yes - Hybrid objects are different to other raw geometry - they have to be parallel to the layer plane. So, that's why you have Set 3D orientation to overcome this within some spotlight objects.

For anything else (like an extrude), it's 3 clicks 1st to set the centre of rotation, 2nd to choose the point you want to move, and 3rd to put that point back down in its new location.