Wake from sleep crash

I just changed the setting to every 25 operations. I didn't know that option was available. Since no one else is reporting this type of crashing. I wonder if it's related to something specific to my system and hardware. I have a 27" iMac with a Wacom Intuos5 tablet and mouse, and I run SpellCatcher and Keyboard Maestro. Anyone else configured similarly?

I've sent the crash reporter text to tech support. I sure hope someone at NV can read those reports and decipher what is causing the crash.

Bruce

I had a similar problem. Turned to to be a very old extension (Adobe something) that was incompatible w/ the operating system.

I called Apple tech support. They looked at my logs and told me what to nuke. I had 10 years of accumulated cruft, so there were a lot of old extensions and log in items trying to call software that no longer existed.

Good luck!

mk

HI, Bruce - I recall a series of unsolved crashes in some earlier vwx version on an older computer. About every 10 minutes, only in Vectorworks. It was about that time I made my 1st custom title block and record format, both of which were probably not conforming to VW standards. I never traced the crashes to that, but thinking back . . .

Anyway, could there be some object or resource from 2012 or earlier which was marginally OK before and therefore did not often cause a crash, but now conflicts with a more sensitive or nuanced 2013?

Desperate measures for desperate times:

Run the Chron maintenance scripts?

http://www.techbeast.net/2011/07/24/osx-lion-maintenance-scripts/

Run a hardware check from your OS install disk? Bad memory chip?

Create and test new Vectorworks files in a new, fresh user account on your iMac?

Try running Vectorworks in Safe Mode?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564

-B

I'll give those all a try, but I need to do work now, not trouble shoot and resolve problems with a new release. Tech support is not being helpful. They keep asking me what is happening when VW crashes. Well, it's random!!!, but mostly when my iMac wakes from sleep. I send them the crash logs, but they say that only tells them what was going on with VW when it crashed, and not what caused the crash. I think I'm getting the run-around. I feel like they want me to solve the problem so they don't have to.

Still no solution. I can say with consistency that 2013 crashes every morning when I wake my computer. I do nothing more than press one button on my keyboard, and wait to see my airport connect, and then 2013 crashes in the background. It indicates to me that the problem is with 2013 going out for something on the internet. I plan to test tonight by booting into safe mode, opening 2013, putting the computer to sleep, and waking it again in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I had this solved, but no. I trashed everything 2013 and reinstalled using the DVD I received the other day. I made no changes to any VW prefs and tested without crashing for a few days. Then I decided to start reconfiguring VW to the settings I use. First I turned on prefs/session/sound. A moment later I made a FaceTime call to my brother. At the moment the call connected VW crashed in the background. So is anyone else using session/sound turned on?

We have not installed 2013 (and probably won't until 2-3 service pack are released: too many previous bad experiences) however, when we ran into wake-from-sleep crashing problems after installing 2012, we solved them on the Mac side by installing Little Snitch and blocking TCP connections to activation.vectorworks.net, but still allowing to Vectorworks 2012.app and CineRender.app to accept incoming network connections.

Again, this is for 2012, but it might be worth a shot.

Edited by pgym
Still no solution. I can say with consistency that 2013 crashes every morning when I wake my computer. I do nothing more than press one button on my keyboard, and wait to see my airport connect, and then 2013 crashes in the background. It indicates to me that the problem is with 2013 going out for something on the internet.

Further to my post up-thread on Little Snitch, I've now got one of our MBPs blocking Vectorworks 2012.app from connection to the 'Net. So far, 2012's behaving as it did previously.