Sign in to follow this  
Donald Wardlaw

Linear Materials

This tool is new to me. I'm sure they'd want the graphics for the materials to be user definable because the default graphics are nothing a lot of us would ever use.

So, my question is, how to I alter the definition of the defined materials, like "gyp. bd. (detailed)".

thanks,

Donald

Glad you brought that up Donald. I understand how to make a new line in the resource browser but to alter one you need to right click in the resource browser and select edit then select geometry from there you can alter the line just like a symbol would be altered.

And yes I had the initial frustrations with that one too.

Well, thus far I've not been able to do as suggested. I really don't get this tool.

Is this a tool that is supposed to be used to denote materials in a detail? I'm going to have to put this up there with the edit/create hatch tool.

I don't find any straightforward and easy way to edit the linear material. I can see some editable feature in the resource pallet but it seems to affect only the line style of the enclosing lines. Everything else remains inscrutable to me.

Donald

PS. I don't know what a right click is, but I've tried different modifier key combinations with no revealing result.

Edited by Donald Wardlaw

Donald if you are a Mac user try using Control + Click to bring up the contextual editing option menu in the Resource Browser (and the drawing). It is an alternative to the Right Click.

Mike,

Thanks. I can get to the contextual menu. My frustration is that there doesn't seem to be any way to customize linear materials to have the graphic nature I want to have. Am I missing something? Is there a way to create my own graphic and make it a linear material? Or substitute it for the graphic for one of the predefined materials?

Density is what controls the amount of detail (Gyp. Bd.)you see.

The hight the number the denser the detail.

It would be nice if we could create our own fill.

The linear material tool has a limited number of controls that allow you to do some customization, although perhaps not to the specific level you need in this case, Donald. If you need significantly more control, consider using the 2-D polygon tool with components, which works similarly to the wall tool, and allows the insertion of hatches, patterns, tiles, class control over appearance, etc.

Dan J.

Create a set of classes with attributes for the different materials you use in detailing. Then use the Double-Line Polygon tool to draw the liner materials at the thickness you set. You can even set multiple components and attributes with this tool.

You can add your own custom hatch to the Linear Material Board(Generic) setting. This, however, won't give you a hatch that stays oriented to changing direction of the material.

I think the hatch orientation is also a problem with the 2d poly with components idea.

Years ago in the days before the Linear Material tool I used to use a suite of custom walls designed for drafting details. I had over a dozen for various thickness and materials. This was (and may still be) the only way to create a linear material where the hatch changes orientation with every change of angle of the material since a custom hatch can be set to maintain its orientation to walls. It would be nice if this setting also applied to the Linear Material PIO at the same time.

Joe