A serious update for Standard Naming

Dieter @ DWorks

Question

I'm currently looking into standard naming (again) because many of my users aren't disciplined enough to work correctly with classes.

There are many things that can be done to make this standard naming a good usable thing:

(Correct me if I'm wrong on some things, I normally do not use standard naming)

1. We need the ability to specify the standard class for EACH object in VW, even custom plugins.

Like it is now, each object that uses a standard class, you can set through the plugin editor, but that's too time consuming and you need to do it with every release/update. A possible solution for this could be a list we can edit with the object name and it's standard class.

(More to follow as I'm going through this subject.)

Edited by DWorks

9 answers to this question

6. The ability to save the visibility and overrides of a set of standard classes for use in viewports. Most of the time, we use the same settings for a 'type' of viewport, so it would be quicker if we could just select a saved set to start with.

I know that we can used saved views before creating the viewport, but most of the time, viewports get copied and edited.

Edited by DWorks
(I even wonder how mny users really use this?)

Well I usually start using it until:

1. I place a stair, then I need to switch it off because I can't get it to work (the stair doesn't attain the correct class markers and it messes up all stairs in the project.......perhaps someone can figure out what I'm doing wrong, if anything at all. This applies for both 2012 and 2013.......

2. Spaces are not included in the list and there is no way to override the standard class.

3. Dimensions always ended up in the Dimensions class even though a custom class was indicated in the list. (this seems to have been fixed in 2013.)

Edited by Vincent C