Free upgrade to 2013?

IanH

With VSS now around, is there any change to the grace period offering free upgrade to 2013 on all 2012 products purchased now, including upgrades?

Its always been a cheap way to keep up to date in the past, buying one version upgrade during grace period and getting second version upgrade for free.

Not convinced that VW will have moved on enough from 2011 to warrant an upgrade. Sounds like 2012 was a retrograde step and glad I skipped that one. Nothing that I have seen of 2013 jumps out as a killer feature, unlike some others in the past.

2010 seems to work fine on my < 1 year old Mac with Lion. Surprised if Mountain Lion broke anything as from an application viewpoint, its a very minor update.

Would be interested to know if you get offered free upgrade to 2013 if you buy 2010-2012 upgrade prior to 2013 release.

A 2 year upgrade cycle was always cheaper than 2 one yearly upgrades even without free grace period upgrade. But with VSS, that anomaly may have changed.

VW2010 Will only work on 10.6 or lower, attempting to run it on any more recent OS makes very very bad things happen, hence, if we need to buy _any_ new machines we will have to pay to upgrade all 7 seats in the studio.

It really makes me feel like this upgrade business is just a way of creating cashflow.

2010 also works fine for me in OSX Lion 10.7.4 on my 7 month old MacBook Pro (Intel Core i7).

Have you tried completely uninstalling Vw2010 (refer to links below), and then reinstall it into a brand new OS user account? Awhile back I was having problems in Vw with certain PIO's not working, and the problems went away when I logged in with a different user account. So I knew that something was screwed up in my main user account.

Vw KB :: Uninstalling Vectorworks 2010

Vw KB :: Uninstalling Vectorworks 2011

Vw KB :: Uninstalling Vectorworks 2012

Vectorworks Operating System Compatibility List 8-30-2012

HTH,

Tim

It really makes me feel like this upgrade business is just a way of creating cashflow.

Surely its not news that this is their business model?

So true Christiaan. Theirs and pretty much everyone's.

I always chuckle when I see people ask for the existing features to be improved and for NVW to stop adding all this new stuff. While that may indeed be the best thing for us, it's surely not for the software developer. There's a simple reason NVW and other companies continuously add new features in every revision - they need NEW customers, not just upgraders. It's one of the sad things about the industry, and for us, the main reason why we upgrade (better word: implement) only every few versions.

--

V-G

in Rebecca Black's famous words... "it's Friday, Friday".

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to jump in to an old thread but there is some discussion here about an issue that I've been wrestling with for awhile.

I purchased my iMac is just over a year ago, and I purposely grabbed my reseller's last machine loaded with OSX 10.6 because I have VW2010 and was concerned that it would not work with Lion.

I don't have any plans to upgrade as VW 2010 is just fine for what I do and I can't justify the expense.

Have said that, I am leaning to a Lion upgrade and the conversation here seem to indicate that VW2010 works with OSX Lion but there may be issues.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks