Light emitting surface/object

Guest Demfis Fyssicopulos

Dear all,

Is there a way to create a light emitting object on VW2010?. As a work around I've been using "constant" under "reflectivity" as the property. Although it works for most cases, in this particular occasion that work around will not work as the surface is an extruded triangle and the angles get "flattened" when using "constant". Attached is an inspiration image of the result I am after on the surface. Thoughts?. Thanks everyone.

df

Hi Michael,

Any other way you can think of?. THat's close but not exactly. It doesn't look like it's "glowing". OUt of curiosity, if it's not possible on VW2010 is it a feature of a later version?. Thanks!

df

Hi again,

That wouldn't work either. See I'm really not doing that Tron bike. What I am doing is the surround of an LED screen that would be backlit. Trying to make it look like the surround, which is made of an extruded triangular polygon, emits lights. See attach. Any other ideas?

df

You could try placing a series of spot lights behind and around the frame, and have them point inward. You may also be able to create tubular light objects around the frame, and then block the light with some shielding so it only illuminates inward. At the same time you may want to make the screen a light object and give it a slight glow texture. I have not done enough of this to know exactly how to make it work, and I don't know (remember) if this would work with VW2010.

Hi Wes,

That is exactly what I'm after. Is that a feature on VW2012 and/or VW2011?

Edited by Demfis Fyssicopulos
Guest Wes Gardner

Demfis,

So sorry, I didn't see the 2010 requirement. Yes, we did adopt the Cinema 4D rendering engine which changed things somewhat.

Lighting got simpler, quicker and some cool new effects such as "glow" were added.

Wes

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The most you can do in 2010 is a Constant reflectivity shader, which has a bright appearance but does not cast light. You could try making line or area lights but these take time to render and you need to control which objects cast shadows so that the light goes through the light lens or lampshade or what-have-you.

From the original image a Constant reflectivity with kind of gradient color image might look OK. In the original image you can't really see the LEDs lighting up surrounding objects.

Edited by Dave Donley

Dear all,

I just upgraded to 2012. All of the surfaces that I had set to "Constant" in 2010 where automatically changed to "glow" - which is perfect. That said, when I render they don't look like the glow!. I've check the "emit light" but still looks like a float white line. Any ideas?