View after changing layers

I did a search, but didn't quite find what I was after. Is it possible for VW to maintain the previous view of a layer? When I switch between layers, the last view I use is the one that is displayed. So if I change a view in one layer, when I switch back to a previous layer it uses the same view, not the view when I left the layer. Does this make sense? I find I constantly have to zoom objects, and then zoom in every time I switch layers.....a waste of time.

Thanks

VW 2011 SP5

Macbook Pro 2.2 i7

8 GB 1333 DDR3

Hmmm. I'll try to explain this a little better. Let's say I have a plan layer, and an elevations layer. Let's assume I'm working on the plan layer with the plan centered on screen. If I go to the elevations layer, and then switch back to the plan, the view remains as it was - with the plan in the center of the screen. But, if I switch to the elevations layer, and zoom in or out, or pan to another part of the drawing, when I switch back to the plan the view - it has been changed as well. Generally only showing me a blank screen whereby I have to zoom to all to get the plan back to center screen. My question was whether it's possible to not have the view change in a layer that is not active. So that when I switch back and forth and work in the different layers the view is where I left it before I switched.

I hope that makes sense.

I'm on VW 2011 architect w/ interiorCAD.

If I understand you correctly, you are always working in Top/Plan View in 2D and you're separating different drawings on different layers and only having one layer active at a time. When you say switching to your elevation layer, I am assuming you're not switching to Front/Back/Left/Right views, but just switching between design layers.

Each layer is like a new piece of tracing paper on a pad. You can only look at one zoom view of the pad at a time ie. if you look at the lower left quadrant of the pad, you will see the lower left quadrant on each layer you switch to.

Unified view is only affecting you if you are switching between 3D views (Front, Top, Right etc.) as it forces all layers to switch when its on.

If your layers are all different scales, it will make you situation worse. You could also turn on "Centre on Objects after View Change" on the Display tab in the preferences. It helps things to not wander as far afield.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. You are correct that I'm working in 2D. I actually work with architectural woodwork, but thought the plan and elevation scenario might be more familiar for those offering help. I do have the "Centre on objects" selected, and this works fine for navigating on one layer. But when I switch to other layers (for me....I always have a separate layer for all the 2D sections of the millwork items that I'm draw in 3D elsewhere). I was hoping that the views of each layer could somehow work independently of each other.

Try Peter's suggestion of the Previous and Next View buttons for most of what you want, but with a few clicks.

They are the blue arrows at left end of the Vectorworks View Bar. If they are not there, add them by opening the View Bar menu (little black disclosure arrow at far right of View Bar) and checkmark the Previous/Next View (top item). Example: View Layer 1, Switch to Layer 2, Zoom to detail on Layer 2. Click Prev View arrow-1st click to undo the zoom, 2nd click to return to Layer 1 at original view.

Hybridize this with Fit to Page (Cmd 4) or other Zoom and navigate shortcuts.

-B