New Render Mode

bc

Question

NOTE: caps are for emphasis, not shouting.

I would like a new Render Option that when implimented

presents similar to Hidden Line except that only the front-most lines are visible. That is to say, only the lines that you can see, NOT ALL OF THE HIDDEN LINES!which can amount to hundreds.

I want to have my elevation showing, rendered in Front Lines (call it whatever) and then I would be looking at a drawing that is similar to the Hidden Line View, except that it DOESN'T CONTAIN ALL OF THE HIDDEN LINES.

Then I can, for example, Convert to Lines and I will be left with only the front most lines...NOT ALL OF THE HIDDEN LINES BEHIND.

Perhaps this could be a Hidden Line Option but I wouldn't want to confuse the issue because I DON'T WANT ANY OF THE HIDDEN LINES!

Perhaps it is best presented in the Convert to Lines Dialog where, in addition to converting to Hidden Line, there could be the option to convert to Front Lines only because the user DOESN'T WANT HIDDEN LINES.

Capiche? Got that long-standing gripe out of my system.

Actually, I am old school. Hidden lines were always dashed from the git-go...not optional. It would never be a Hidden Line drawing without the dashed hidden lines so it's a misnomer right from the start to have the dashed as an option for Hidden Line. If one doesn't want the dashed hidden lines, then it's a different drawing.

If anyone has a VectorWorksaround, I'd love to hear it!

12 answers to this question

I don't really understand what you mean...Hidden Line renders only show the lines that 'are' visible!?

If you don't want the lines that are further away to show, create an elevation view with certain depth constraint and hidden line render?!

If what you want is a 'dead' 2D lines drawing created from the hidden line render......create a SLVP of the view you want in hidden line>convert to group>ungroup>copy paste to DL>rescale, done!

Edited by Vincent C

Thanks Vincent,

Yes I want a dead 2D of the frontmost lnes. I know that's what you get in Hidden Line but if you convert to lines from there, all the "hidden" lines are included in the resulting group.

Your process does it. Way back when I was taught to take your viewport and convert to lines. Not to group and then ungroup and rescale etc.

So it's a workaround of sorts but then it gets me there relatively quickly. Wow. All this time.

I still wish for a simpler process such as a "Convert to Front Lines Right Then and There" command in whatever layer your on.

Thanks again.

The new mode bc suggests is actually still needed. All those SLVPs using hidden line render shouldn't have all the unseen lines. They are part of the bloated PDF problem.

I'm guessing that the DLVPs contain this info but not the SLVPs.......

Nope, just tried it.....Create Viewport to a DL>select viewport>convert to lines>choose option Hidden Line Render>only visible lines remain as Screen Plane objects......so that is basically what I understand you want bc, I must be missing your point of criticism, sorry if I seem slow ....

Edited by Vincent C

I feel like I am in some kind of Twilight Zone.

I admit I haven't attempted this in my current version, so I wonder at which version this changed? Surely this wasn't so in VW 2011? I don't even get the choice dialog upon conversion to lines.

We use the modify- convert- convert to lines command all the time for sections and elevations (we're on fundamentals), and if you use hidden line mode it converts it into a group of only the visible/ front lines. ( VWs 2011, and i'm fairly sure 2012 at home too)

edit: images (VW2011 fundamentals)

01wireframe.th.jpg

02converttolines.th.jpg

03options.th.jpg

04converted.th.jpg

05ungrouped.th.jpg

(the ridiculous amount of lines in the ungrouped image is due to the extrude vertices etc, not lines behind!)

Edited by gokarch