Folded Paper with thickness

I started what seemed to be simple project -- modelling a piece of folded paper. I need the 'paper' in the model to have a thickness of 1mm. I created 3D polys for each surface, also tried nurbs curves converted into surfaces, but adding thickness seems challenging. I tried using the shell command, which gives thickness to individual surfaces, but since the model is made up of many surfaces at different angles to each other, the shell command doesn't create smooth intersections.

The file should be attached; any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jonathan! The file I had attached was individual NURBS curves combined into surfaces, but Shell creation would fail after using Add Solids to join them. I had also tried making 3d polys, but they wouldn't join at all with Add Solid. But your NURBS/Loft Surface approach did result in surfaces that I could Add and Shell. Not sure I understand why the lofted NURBS surfaces worked when surfaces created in different manners didn't work... but thanks again.