3D-bump maps or 3D-tiles!

VincentCuclair

Question

You know what would be a nice touch and solve the hatches in 3D problem: 3D bump maps/3D tiles!

Say that we could create a 3D shape/object that could be applied to wall (components), slab, ceilings, roofs and roof faces.

Thus a hidden line render would show correct hatches for facades in 2D and 3D renders would be more realistic too.

I guess a bit similar to the create wall projection/recess however as a resource browser resource and applicable to all objects.....

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7847&filename=3D%20Bump1.png

Edited by Vincent C

3 answers to this question

That would solve the problem, however I think render times will get too high with this solution.

Well you don't have to use them......if you don't use textures render times are faster too.....

Just the ability to apply the hatches we now have to 3D objects is better and will be more logical to users. Plus, then they don't need to have Renderworks.

Sure if they find a solution, that too, I would also like to see a system where textures can be over-riden in SLVPs, Section VPs and Elevation VPs by hatches......

Edited by Vincent C

This would be nice but not as a solution to real vector-based 3D hatching.

As things are it's already comical how much time is needed between making a change to a model and then seeing it in elevation view.

1. Save model file.

2. Update reference in elevations file (then save that file incase it crashes).

3. Re-render viewport (save file again).

We need vector-based 3D hatching so we can skip this kind of nonsense, especially when producing CDs.