Why not separate Hybrid symbols 2D/3D by default when you need to rotate 3D

ubybc

Question

Seems to be already incorporated into the truss tool and instruments tools. Why not apply this conceptually to the entire program? All hybrid symbols 2D stays in place regardless of what you do to the 3D orientation of the symbol.

VW is a 3D drawing program. You should be able to rotate, spin and control every symbol or primitive with just a mouse like you can in Cinema4D.

This seems like it would be a critical improvement to the software. Am I alone here?

7 answers to this question

You would not make me happy with that concept. Symbols are like rubber stamps with only one definition. If you rotate the symbol along the z axis (x-y plane), the 2D & 3D parts should rotate by the same angle. VW is a 2D & 3D program so if you are allowed to rotate the 3D part to any angle then the 2D graphic will no longer be a representation of the 3D object as viewed from the top.

The flexibility that you want can be done with plug-ins but of course you will need to script the logic behind it. An example will be a directional light, which you can rotate to any angle while keeping a 2D graphic the same.

That's basically the way it's done in Spotlight - which handles hybrid symbols that show 2D graphic symbols w/ associated data while allowing the 3D to spin on 3 axes and articulate the light towards a focus point.

It would be great if this could apply to other symbols. Like recessed fixtures in a vaulted ceiling or roof vents.

I agree w/ Miguel that it would be better if a car symbol placed on a sloped driveway could redraw its 2D portion to show the foreshortening. But I'd be happy with the Spotlight style rotation until that happens.

This has been a bit of a Mute point for as long as i can remember, many For, many Against.

Thing is, you should be able to rotate a 3D Symbol/Hybrid on any Axis, and the 2D object/representation should automatically adapt to show what's happened and in doing so VW should keep a copy of the original "As Was" with the option to jump back to view it and return to the modified "Rotation" as and when needed.

Today's machines have the power to both calculate and store all of this data and keep it updated, only the software running on them can keep them from doing it . . . . . .