Version 2011 vs 2012 the differences?

taoist

I am using VW 2012 Architect with Renderworks.

I have Daniel Jansenson Remarkable Rederworks

An introduction to the basics book.

In comparing the menus in the book vs what shows on screen in VW 2012, I noticed some differences.

Area lights are missing the following:

Show Direction

Flip Direction

List Fog

Load Distribution

Custom Renderworks Options do not match either.

Is there a cross reference somewhere?

I really miss the direction in area lights.

Area lights are more like a matrix of point lights. If you make the area light small and narrow enough you can see the points.

But with a reasonably sized area light it acts like a large diffused light source

hth

mk

Edited by michaelk

Thanks for pointing that out guys, really becoming unsatisfied with what they are doing.

Do they even take the posts and concerns of everyone in to consideration when making changes?

Polls are a good way to establish what the masses want before changes are made, just punting an idea here...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

These things all changed when going from the Lightworks render engine in 2010 to the CINEMA 4D render engine in 2011. Area lights in C4D do not have directionality, IES distributions, etc. The switch to a different engine was a big one with big benefits, but some details had to change.

Maxon actually added some things to C4D to make our transition easier, like color balance for the lights, IES lights, the bricks shader, etc.

Edited by Dave Donley

Love the remarks.

What is the best light source to use for light fixtures?

I know about using Reflectivity > Glow for a texture but I want to be able to control the lighting from the fixture.

To me, light fixtures should have a lighting tab or option with them and control it from there. Or if they do not, be able to assign the fixture a light source.

This is what my other CAD software does.

It's there. Look in the library: Objects-Building Services/Electrical-Lighting-Imp

All the hybrid symbols whose names start with LFxt have light sources (Some are point sources and some are directional.).

The intensity can be controlled from the OIP or from the Visualization Palette.

If there is a light object in a symbol and the view is other than Top/Plan, then the intensity slider will appear in the OIP.

That makes it pretty easy to roll your own for less generic fixtures. I usually put the light object in it's own class so I can quickly make the class invisible to turn the lights off. If it's available get the IES data from the manufacturer to get realistic dispersion and falloff for a particular fixture.

hth

mk