Revit Thoughts

Revit sounds great for large projects that have many people/trades involved. It should be (if not already) the standard for that scale of work.

My history with Vectorworks (which is brief compared to some of you!) is that only contractors, small and sometimes medium sized firms use it... yes, because of the cost. But it works.

Do you guys feel that vectorworks progression has become minimal?

I think over the next few years they'll figure it out..

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Revit sounds great for large projects that have many people/trades involved. It should be (if not already) the standard for that scale of work.

I think this idea that dedicated building modellers are for big jobs is a myth. I used Vectorworks Architect for my little refurb recently and all the hassles I have on larger schemes apply equally.

Do you guys feel that vectorworks progression has become minimal? I think over the next few years they'll figure it out..

The problem with Vectorworks Architect has always been that it's a general modeller. A jack of all trades and master of none. The problems are systemic and for the last 5 years they've only been able to tinker around the edges of them. I'm increasingly of the view that I don't think they'll manage it.

Autodesk made a good move buying Revit instead of trying to morph Autocad into its answer to BIM. Unfortunately that's the opposite of what Nemetschek have essentially done with VW.

I just checked out the Comments for Autocad LT on Mac, through the App Store. Anyone who purchases Autocad LT Mac 2012 is unable to get any upgrade for 2013, because there is no license for upgrade. That means they have to pay the full price for the latest version every year - about $900. That's Autodesk for you.

Apple's Mac App Store doesn't support upgrades so it's probably got more to do with Apple than Autodesk.
You mean, 'doesnt oficially support PAID upgrades'.

Plenty of companies offer free upgrades (rather than updates) although most have not sussed that and force a repurchase or a limited lifespan goodwill upgrade.

Just today did I download an app upgrade (same mechanism as OSX so valid comparison). Completely different app but my active licenses transferred across from old app to new app seamlessly. I then purchased an additional license to unlock a years subscription for an add on that I decided to subscribe to. Can't see why this mechanism can't be adapted for an upgrade model whereby you get a new app to download but entitlements from previous version are carried across and added to new app.

Autocad's already available for Mac. No word on Revit.

I was under the impression Revit was on it's way to Mac because of comments made in this forum, but I recently searched for a press statement from Autodesk and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know if there has been a statement made that indicates they're committed to bringing all their products to Mac?

This is the thing. It doesn't matter how smart you are. With Vectorworks you must have oodles of experience just to avoid the pitfalls, or know someone who does.

Very sad but true... even though I love VW.

I've found that members of my Vectorworks User Group use only part of the program's full potential. Some of them only work in 2D. One of them does not use Sheet Layer Viewports. In fact, our meetings are gearing toward basic fundamentals - which is good - I could use a review of the basics.

Part of the problem is the UI's confusing vast array of tools and commands. I tend to explore some of them, because many of the good ones I'm unaware of. It's like a kitchen drawer packed full of utensils.

I heard a small rumor that the new Vw 2013 doing a makeover of the commands and tools, and I know that is long overdue. Vw 2012 did a little of consolidating some tools, so I hope to see more of this streamlining soon.

True, Vw is the "Excel" or in automotive terms "Cadillac" of CAD in many areas. Just in Text Editing alone, it can search and replace strings, have styles, link to records, and sit on 3D planes. The many text features do need some improvement and streamlining, though. The "Text Search and Replace" does not work on Callouts, for example.

The Worksheets are great too - having a spreadsheet in CAD is a wonderful thing. But Vw's SS is no Excel in any way. The text can't be edited inside the cells - very out of date.

I heard a small rumor that the new Vw 2013 doing a makeover of the commands and tools, and I know that is long overdue. Vw 2012 did a little of consolidating some tools, so I hope to see more of this streamlining soon.

If true, at least it's a start.

I mean, slab tool to create a ceiling???

I would expect 3D hatches to be fixed, live sections to be implemented, live hidden line rendering as a very minimum.

Without these features, I'm jumping ship. These features are too basic to ignore.

I would like to Vw's to have automatically updating section viewports, just to shut up Autodesk sellers finger-pointing at it. I recall when Autodesk praised how Revit has authorized IFC export, and declared that Vectorworks is inferior because it didn't have it. Now that Vectorworks has IFC export, Autodesk doesn't care about it, and want the world to exchange RVT files - just as they wanted the world to exchange DWF files instead of PDFs with those ridiculous juggler ads. I know they still don't care about PDFs, because if they did, Revit would be able to import them. I think Autodesk resents PDF, IFC and any other open source file format because it does not put Autodesk in the position of having power and control.

Many good ideas, mostly unfinished.

this is my critique of vw in a nutshell.

our faculty of architecture offers a range a possibilities for our students. however, revit is the overwhelming top choice a the moment and understandably so: it is a good building design tool and the students need to get jobs when they graduate.

while i teach in a revit world, i prefer vw in my practice, which includes a lot of urban planning and landscape architecture along with with building design. vw's flexibility and versatility are hard to beat in this arena.

i think vw has a lot of good ideas--for example the dtm--but implementation is a pain in the butt--for example the dtm. i experience a lot of the problems mentioned in this forum, and i am close to my limit in how long i can wait for vw to get it right. like others, i am expecting a lot from 2013. i am also looking closely at developments in other software so i can make the switch if it becomes necessary.

cheers,

ray

I would like to Vw's to have automatically updating section viewports, just to shut up Autodesk sellers finger-pointing at it.

Automatically updating section viewports is not enough. "Live Section Viewports" means that you can edit the model directly via the SVP

Edited by Kizza

Thing is, Autodesk don't need to, or are at least not rushed to do so. Why? Because the other alternatives on the mac are inferior.

If VW was as good, then those on the mac would purchase it and would have no need to consider Revit. Autodesk would then have compelling reason to compete on the mac platform with a mac version of Revit

Edited by Kizza
I was under the impression Revit was on it's way to Mac ... Does anyone know if there has been a statement made

4th post on this thread, from an AutoDesk rep sounds pretty conclusive that they're working on it.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/Revit-on-Mac/td-p/3194928

Oh I missed that one. Very cool.

Edit: actually you know what, I think he's saying that running Revit via Windows on a Mac is a work-in-progress.