Exporting DWG: VW file with references to other files

hmckinstry

Question

I am trying to export a DWG from a VW2012 file that references a master file. The master file has the whole building 3d modeled. There are 4 of us working on the project so we split out other files so that we can all work on different sheets at the same time but still reference the same model.

The elevation file has a reference viewport of the model on a design layer and then the sheet layers each have a viewport to that design layer in each of the 4 side views.

When I export the sheet layers as DWGs (to send to consultants) and then reimport them in a blank doc (to see what is in the DWG) all I get are the annotations and things that are actually drawn in the elevation file. The referenced file shows up as a 2D symbol, basically looks like a roof plan, and in front view just a horizontal line.

I've tried many combinations of checking and unchecking boxes in the export DWG menu and haven't hit on anything that works. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Heather

2 answers to this question

Just discovered a bug whereby certain object types are not exporting using the 2d graphics which you all may be experiencing.

the tried and true method is to save as the file, in this file create a design layer for all the elevations, dup the VP then convert to group, this will give a line object group that when placed on the design layer can be measured from, you will just have to scale up by the scale of the vp.