Jamb Extensions on Windows

dcont

Is there a way to have a window with a standard jamb width to also have jamb extensions? We are running into problems with having very thick walls such as ICF or just super insulated walls, and having the window positioned correctly.

The plan offset option only allows to offset the entire window with jamb. I would like to see it just offset the sash and not the jamb. Any work arounds?

I feel that there needs to be a jamb extension option for the window object so that it can look right in plan and have interior and exterior trim displayed on the surface of the wall.

Thanks in advance.

DanC

dcont,

I do not know about VW2010 as I upgraded from VW2008 to VW2012.

VW 2012 has options to move the sash within the frame.

Window Sash Offsets

There are 3 new parameters for the window to allow positioning of the sash.

Sash Offset will move the sash from its default position within the jamb.

Sash Width Offset allows an additional width to be applied to the sash allowing it to stretch into the jamb.

Glass Offset will move the glass from its center position in the sash.

You could always set the depth of the jamb and then offset to get it towhere you want, then "add" the extension jamb.

Maybe some other users have a better way.

It would then have a window sill, the horizontal jamb actually, between the two windows, right?

For the exterior, it looks correct, though.

You can turn off the sill.

When you have a transom over the window, the transom is in it's own frame and the manufacturer will mull (join) the transom frame to the door frame. This is for residential.

It would just be a lot simpler to have a Jamb Extension option for the window tool since that is how it would actually be built with thicker walls. No one actually disassembles a window to offset the sash. They just add jamb extensions to the window unit.

With VW introducing the option of offsetting the sash, they now have to accommodate offsetting the sash in transoms, offsetting the mullions for multiple assembly window units, etc...

The attached image shows a window (left) with the offset sash but the transom is still in the center of the jamb. The other window (right) has an upper row of small transoms but now the mullions are not offset with the sash. They are still centered with the jamb.

dcont,

I agree with you regarding the adjustments needed for transoms to match the windows.

Here is screen image of (2) casement windows "stacked" to get look of transom.

Offset "upper" window so elevation is to sill.

This way it will stack.

Doing this will allow you to control sash offset within frame.

If you get the 3D view just so, you will notice the "jamb extension". Trouble is we have no control.

Upon further thought, it is probably center line of wall depth.

Edited by taoist