Need help with a "draped roof"

Hi All,

I need some help badly, and i'm hoping someone can clue me in.

I'm working on a rendering for a client, and I need to do chiffon drooping drape off of a 10' center extention we will have at the middle of the structure.

I've attached some jpegs so you guys can see what I mean (its a 30meg size now so cant attach the vwx.

Any ideas how to do this? I've tried 2d poly's, extruding, convertind to NURBS, applying a texture, but it's just not looking good.

If you see the top-down view I have 16 little holes cut in the center ring at top of structure. I wanted to tie the drape to each hole, and then tie it off to 16 points around the outter truss leaving some droop on each section, then let the drape hang down around the structure.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas on this!I'm working in VW2010 spotlight.

Thanks!

Hallo BigDan,

Are you trying to get something like the image shows?

Its often mentioned in the Forum, that it is a good way, to model as you would built it.

You can see, that my first approach lead to something that is not

correct, because the Cables are above the Cloth, and should be under it...

Let me know, if the image shows something you try to get, and if you

want further help in that direction.

regards Horst M.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7730&filename=Eventtentroof.jpg

Edited by Horst M.

Hi guys,

I really do appreciate everyone helping! I've attached a photo of what I'm talking about as the answers i've gotten are more on the side of a "tent" and not what I mean.

In the example you see the chiffon kind of drapped over the roof. It's this idea, but instead it would be more like a pinwheel with the center ring being the start and 16 separate chiffon drapes going out, drooping down about 5' below the roof, then back up and over the sides of the top of the truss then hanging down about 10' or so.

Hope that makes sense....

I hate to ask this, but i'm also going to link this vwx (I work in spotlight 2010). If anyone is able to help with this in actual application I would really appreciate it!

In my actual vwx file I made an example of what I was trying to do with the drape, but this isnt it.. hopefully at least from this you guys will understand where i'm going with it.

Thanks for the help so far, and thanks to anyone that can help on this!

File is here (have to upload to outside site since its too big for here.. wish they would increase the limit here...):

Weddingvwx

-BD

*EDIT* actually added the attachment

Edited by BigDan

Dan

This might be close to what you are trying to do.

I stripped out everything except the truss and the drape, so it can be posted here. Just copy and paste in place into your drawing.

The drape object is a simple birail loft. The objects used to create the loft are on design layer 2.

hth

mk

Hi Michael,

This is exactly what I was looking for! I really don't want to just copy/paste but prefer to understand the steps you took to do this.

So you drew 3 NURBs curvs from what I've seen.. a left a right and a bottom.

What were the steps after that to complete this to the rendering I see?

Thanks again, this is great, and thanks for the help to everyone!

Dan

3D Modeling Tool Set

Loft Surface Tool

3rd Mode (Birail Sweep mode)

(in this order)

Click on one of the long "rails"

Click on the other long "rail"

Click on the profile

Click on the green checkmark

(the tool will try to take the profile object and squish or stretch it as it runs it along the two rails)

A dialog box comes up.

UNcheck Ruled and Closed

CHECK Create Solid and Keep Curves

Loft suface is unlike the modeling commands in that it is not editable back to its constituent parts. Keeping the curves, modifying them and trying again is the only way to "edit"

If you don't check Create Solid (depending on the surface being created) you might get a group of nurbs surfaces, rather than one nurbs surface or a generic solid.

Look out for sharp corners in the rails. It doesn't like that.

Look out for nurbs profile curves that double back on themselves. It really doesn't like that.

If you get a message that the loft surface creation failed, it usually one of those two issues. Simplify and repeat.

hth

mk

Kinda late to the party, but here is a variant on MK's idea:

Make a wiggly line (2d spline front view) which represents the pleated section at the low hang point.

Duplicate the line and squish (rescale) so that it is about 1" tall and as wide as the swag will be where it crosses the beam.

Duplicate again and rescale both x and y so that it is about size when gathered at top (say 1" tall by 3" wide)

Convert all three curves to NURBS, switch to Top View and place/rescale them so that the end points are aligned. Then Front View to arrange the heights.

Loft Surface (simple loft, not the rail modes) along the endpoints: Top, mid, beam.

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7738&filename=SwagFront.pngubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7739&filename=SwagTop.pngubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7740&filename=SwagRender.png