Need help: Viewports & Title Block references

Roman

1) I've created my drawing and placed a viewport on a new sheet

2) I go to reference in my Title Block and I can't get access to the referenced layer in the dialogue box. The only layers I can turn On/Off are belong to the file I'm in.

What's the best procedure for referencing geometry and title resources in 2012?

Thanks!

Not an easy question and not a straight forward answer.

For geometry I would use DLVP. My current understanding is they make WorkGroup Referencing obsolete. Does anyone have an argument for why WGR should be used over DLVP?

In the file you are referencing from, are you using TitleBlocks placed with the Sheet Border object with Automated Drawing Coordination and links to the Project Data, Sheet Data, and Issue Data sets? Or are you using a TitleBlock symbol with text linked to a Record Format? Or are you using a static titleblock with no special formatting at all?

If you are using the Sheet Border with Auto Drawing Coordination, etc I have not found a method yet to link this titleblock data to satellite files so the Project Data is only input once in the main file and then linked out to multiple files. We place the Sheet Border object that references the titleblock symbol directly into the sheet layer outside the viewport and re-enter the data once for each satellite file. If there is a better method out there I would like to know.

If you are using one of the other methods I would suggest creating a referenced symbol in your satellite file that remains linked to the main file. Place this symbol directly onto your Sheet Layer and not inside any viewport. I haven't tried this as I use the Sheet Border method. There may be some issues with the record linked text if you have some.

A DLVP which then gets included 'inside' your viewport may also work but I feel titleblocks should stay on sheet layers and out of design layers.

Joe

Jonathon,

I may have miss read the initial message but I thought the desire was to not just get a default title block from one project file to another project file but to actually reference the project data contained inside the title block from one file to another file that is part of the same project.

Once upon a time when our title blocks were symbols on design layers it was easy to WGR the title block layer into other files that were part of the same project. The data was controlled from a single point in one file and linked to all other files. With Sheet Borders on Sheet Layers I have not found a way to recreate a situation where the project data can be input once into a 'master' file and have that data sent out to other 'satellite' files that are part of the same project. To all title blocks in the same file, yes, but not to external files.

If I over thought it and Roman's question was far more basic then, yes, your recommended setup for up getting default title blocks into new projects is correct. An extension of this, however....if you want the same default title block to be available to multiple people on the same network then locate the title block in the Defaults folder of the Library and locate the library on the server. Everyone should then have a link to this location in their local VW/Library folder.

Joe

1) I'm referencing in a file with my title block. The title block is a symbol

2) I place a Sheet Border

3) I look for the title block symbol using "Title Block..." but the referenced symbol is not visible in the list

This has become confusing...I can't even create a viewport of the referenced file on my sheet!

Why isn't the referenced file available to the Viewport created on a Sheet Layer?

Edited by Roman
This feels like running around the block to get to the front door. Aren't symbols automatically accessible once the parent file is referenced?

Where do I reference symbols?

Thanks

Symbols aren't referenced automatically. My guess is that this is again something done for simplicity, so that the user doesn't get too many symbols to see.

You can reference symbols by right clicking on them and choose the reference option. You must click on a symbol of another file to do this in your resource palette. You'll know that the symbols is references by the name that will be in italic.

Maybe something for the wish list? And make sure that all symbols are in groups per file to easily see wich symbol comes from where. It might be a better solution then now, because it's not always clear at a glance from where the referenced symbol comes from.

• 8 months later...

I recommend using the sheet border and customising the symbol to suit your purposes. I used to have a manual on creating a custom title block using a symbol, but if you customise the sheet border symbol, it will still work with the sheet border tool, which makes it easy to use.

Hre is a link to page on my web site.

http://learn.archoncad.com/2012/11/10398/guide-to-productivity/

There are a lot of movies listed on the page, so you have to scroll a long way down to see the links to the movies on the sheet border tool, and how to customise it. Please remember that only subscribers can see the movies.

You might also find several other useful movies listed there...