Editing line thickness in worksheet shouldn't require redefine which lines

Christiaan

Question

I was going mad trying to figure out why I couldn't change the thickness of border lines in a worksheet. The preview showed they were set to draw the outline and the inside lines of the cells. But changing the line thickness wouldn't work.

Turns out you have to change the line thickness and then tell it which lines you want the line thickness applied to, regardless of whether the preview already shows it set to what you want or not.

Sometimes you really have to wonder...

3 answers to this question

I was a bit frustrated with this too, but once you know, its not as bad. In fact, in MS Excel it is similar, first you pick the line weight, then you click on whichever lines to apply it to. The excel interface is a little easier to understand though.

Also, if you are just looking for bold perimeter lines, you can set a bold line weight to the worksheet object on the drawing from the attributes palette after exiting the worksheet and it will only affect the perimeter lines.

I was a bit frustrated with this too, but once you know, its not as bad.

Which by definition means it's unintuitive. The worst kind of interface.

I've come across this problem in the past if I recall correctly but if you don't use it all the time then you can forget that it works in a stupid way.