map texture to DTM

I want to model a 7 acre park in 3D and decided the best way is to make an image of all the curved walks, mulch, etc, then turn the image into a texture and map it into the 3D DTM. However, it appears all attempts to map the image are unsatisfactory. If I make the image a jpg with high resolution, then VW2012 crashes. At medium resolution jpg, the texture is exceptionally difficult to manipulate on the DTM to get the right size, orientation. If I make the image smaller resolution and in tif format, it works, but the 3D graphics are low resolution and look fuzzy/pixelated/poor (you can't distinguish individual paver bricks, they're just a blur of color).

Any suggestions ? I'm beginning to think VW just can't handle this sort of task.

I'm using VW2012 on a 27" iMac quad core 2.8 GHz i7 with 4G RAM.

No one else took a shot at this, so I will offer a long shot.

When the Drape Surface command first came out (v2009?) it was occasionally suggested as a way to make a new, simpler surface from a DTM. Maybe a Drape Surface from your DTM could accept a larger image file?

Post back if you find something that works or that some object or process was holding up the program.

-B

I have attempted this and it was not really very satisfying. The main problem is that a 2d image is always gonna be a 2d image, so that when viewed from above a Google earth image (or aerial photo) looks sort of okay, but as soon as you change to a 3d view it looks, well, very, very flat and kind of stupid... This defeats the purpose of a 3d model...

The best way that I have found is to pick one (or more) static views and to model everything that is visible within that/those particular view/s. The rest is shown on a typical 2d (perhaps colored) Site Plan...

Just my 2?

Thanks for the responses ..... you may have confirmed my thoughts ..... I think VW just plain can't handle what i want to do. The drape surface command was promising at first, but when you get into the details of making it fit to the contours, it looks bumpy if you make too many verticies, and if you don't make enough verticies then it is not accurately mapped. I also found that using many verticies makes it too large and turns rendering times and responsiveness into crap (minutes turn into hours).

I'm still playing with this file ... I have no real deadline. I've turned my attention back to using texture beds, but I get very inconsistent results. Often the textures aren't mapped properly and the attribute mapping tool is just plainly unusable.

I hope someone at VW is looking at this .....