Revision Notes with Custom Title Block

Hi,

VECTORWORKS 2008

I have made a custom title block using a 'symbol' with 'records' and the P_ & S_ for the default and changing inputs.

I need to add revision notes through 'edit revision data' but cant see how to do this. The video that helped with the above process mentions it briefly with talk of including :i before the data input but this hasn't worked out so far.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/457/Create+a+Custom+Title+Block+and+Configure+it+to+Interact+with+the+Object+Info+Palette

This is the video mentioned.

Edited by papawhitedawg

From what I recall, Issue and Revision data fields are created by placing special text strings in the Title Block (TB), without linking them to the TB record format. The special text strings are (including colon):

:iNo for an Issue number

:iNote for an Issue note

:iDate for an Issue date

:iAppr for an Issue approval

:rNo for a Revision number

:rNo for a Revision note

:rDate for a Revision date

:rAppr for a Revision approval

The Issue and Revision text strings can have any justification, and should have word wrap on. The vertical alignment must be set to Top for the issue list to flow down, and to Bottom for the issue list to flow up.

Issue and Revision data are attached to the Sheet Border, not the Title Block, so you must have a Sheet Border object and a TB in your drawing file. HTH

• 8 months later...
From what I recall, Issue and Revision data fields are created by placing special text strings in the Title Block (TB), without linking them to the TB record format. The special text strings are (including colon):

:iNo for an Issue number

:iNote for an Issue note

:iDate for an Issue date

:iAppr for an Issue approval

Can there be more than one instance of, for example, iNo on a sheet? I have two references to issue number within my title block symbol but only one populates.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I. Am trying to add the info

:rNo

:rDate

To a drawing list worksheet.

As they are not part of the record attached to the title block symbol, I am not able to get them to populate the work sheet.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Edited by bohlr
  • 2 weeks later...

I was told that the built in Drawing List feature did not work with Custom Title Blocks.

You can type your own search criteria into the database header row to get the title block info to load into the worksheet. Then manually link each column header to a field.

I also added a boolean field to the Record Format and titled it 'On Drawing List'. The title blocks display whether or not 'true' or 'false' are in this field.

I also added a class setting in order to sort different sets of sheet the way I like them instead of alphabetical. (civil, arch, elec, etc)

See an image here.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21682894/3.%20GeneralUse/VWForum%20Images/WorksheetForCustomTB.png

Hope this helps.

Joe Hoffner

Sears Architects

Grand Rapids, Michigan

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I am having a problem with the formatting of the the revision notes in a title block. I can add revision but the first note overlays over the :rNote text. The pictures linked are of the revision fields in the edit mode and after revision data has been made. I don't know if anyone has had the same problem.

https://universitytasmania-my.sharepoint.com/personal/jamesea_utas_edu_au/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?guestaccesstoken=WZahVR0yw7lPK9U9HeDesAw6I%2fL9XTAaNditQruaaZY%3d&docid=0a37245cdf50f434c9a9bb8d85e654311&rev=1

https://universitytasmania-my.sharepoint.com/personal/jamesea_utas_edu_au/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?guestaccesstoken=gwqPdzBz9lShuUwL8tsWQVrnOTILw2EL3mzaOdFQ7Gw%3d&docid=0ed248ab358e54889bfa47e1ee5734e5b&rev=1

Thank You.

OK, I found the problem. Actually a couple of them.

1. Everything inside your Title Block (DDA Portrait, the only one I worked on) was in a group. Somehow this was messing up the Revision code and causing both the entered data and the placeholder :r fields to show. I edited the symbol and Ungrouped, so everything was at the top level of the symbol and it seems to work.

2. The title block contains manual text for revisions A to C. I deleted those.

3. You have the :rNote written where you probably want to have the title Note or something similar.

4. You need to put the :rNo, :rNote and :rDate fields where you want the first instance to show.

5. You will want to manually size the :r text field to the maximum width you want them to have.

6. If you really want the lines in between, you will need to play with the font size and/or line spacing of the :r filed markers.

I have attached my copy of the file with numbers 1 to 5 changed. Playing to get 6 right is up to you. My suggestion is just to drop the separator lines and colons and go to vertical separator lines. Then your note can wrap to more than 1 line without messing up the spacing.