Modelling roof tiles

To DWorks: no, not with Revit, with Vectorworks (of course!).

To Vincent C and Christiaan: thanks for the kind words! The bricks are done using extract surface and applying a hatch. I tried using a tile, but it wouldn't show up in a Hidden Line render - not sure why. The 'siding', which is actually T&G boarding, was modelled in 3D. It's quite repetitive, so I was able to repeat panels as symbols to an extent. Each board has chamfered edges. I think it's the actual modelling of these elements which makes the render look reasonably believable.

You might be interested to know that most of the building elements were modelled individually. I simply can't, for example, get windows and doors to look good using the standard tools. The road markings are 5 mm high extrudes to get them to look right(ish) in 3D. It seems like a lot of work, but once the bulk of it is done I can generate views from anywhere and have them look right. So far I've spent 140 hours on the project for everything, including several mind-numbing days wrestling with the Planning Portal (UK victims know what I mean!). Making the original model was probably a bit more than 100 of them. I am naively hoping that sections and construction details will come straight out of the model. We'll see....

Does anyone know whether Hidden Line can show cast shadows?

The strange thing is NV don't seem to understand that it is exactly 'this', what you have done, that we need to do regularly, fast and intuitively! It even comes above slick 3D renders and big BIM.

Nope, no shadows, again also very necessary.......(a workaround could be superimposing 2 VPs and have a different render mode with shadows on the bottom one.)

The strange thing is NV don't seem to understand that it is exactly 'this', what you have done, that we need to do regularly, fast and intuitively! It even comes above slick 3D renders and big BIM.

So true. I need to generate this type of clean, clear drawing every day. This is what a sheet layer viewport should look like in its default form without any rendering or updating required. Not some useless wireframe view.

I'm not sure why something so fundamental, so simple is so difficult for Nemetschek to understand and achieve.

Kevin

Yes I've been meaning to give that a go, thanks for reminder Jon. I have my doubts whether it would work out though. Also, it's only a surface thing right, so it wouldn't show the tiles correctly in section.

I'm also going to try converting all the tiles to auto-hybrids over the weekend and see if that allows me to render the section.

Perhaps try simplifying the tile symbol first.

If it's an extrude, look at how many vertices the polygon has and if possible reduce this.

Also - take a look at how the tiles mate. Do you have coincident surfaces, this may be causing a problem, lifting it a small amount / reducing the overlap thickness a hair to introduce a gap may be all you need to do.

Also, it's only a surface thing right, so it wouldn't show the tiles correctly in section.

Not true.

Get acquainted with the Array Surface command. It can array 2d or 3d objects, incl symbols, on many types of surfaces. Sections and Section VPs will show the 3d info. Several control parameters help modify the array as needed. Not perfect, but really good.

-B

Okay, so typical settings roof tile setout would be?

Fixed Distance X = width of tile?

Offset X Factor = 1?

Shift X Factor = 0?

Fixed Distance Y = ?

Offset Y Factor = ?

Shift Y Factor = ?

P.S. best bit: you can't cut your holes for the roof lights by just clipping the base surface. Hallelujah, I expected it to be half-baked and not work like that.

Edited by Christiaan

I discovered that you can perform a solid subtraction on a symbol without converting it first. perhaps everyone else knows this, but I didn't

wow - this is really novel, I didn't know this nor would ever have expected it.

And, not only can you perform solid subtractions on 3d symbols you can also perform them on hybrid symbols - although you do lose the 2d component.

Okay, so typical settings roof tile setout would be?

Fixed Distance X = width of tile?

Offset X Factor = 1?

Shift X Factor = 0?

Fixed Distance Y = ?

Offset Y Factor = ?

Shift Y Factor = ?

Okay I had the pattern rotation set to my roof angle by mistake. I still need to make some adjustments to something (perhaps angle of my symbol) but this seems more like typical settings

Fixed Distance X = 1/2 width of tile

Offset X Factor = 1

Shift X Factor = 1

Fixed Distance Y = length of tile

Offset Y Factor = 1

Shift Y Factor = 0.5

Edited by Christiaan
  • 5 years later...